FOR SALE:- 24" Wadkin Rip Saw (photos have now been add

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillyc

Reaction score
If anyone is interested I have for sale a Wadkin 24inch rip saw, I have no idea what model it is as can’t read the markings on it sorry.

Its 3 phase and a great saw which runs well. Comes with a saw blade that was re sharpened about 3 months ago but it has hardly been used since then.

It dose not have a DC breaking unit, but It also comes with a riving knife just never got round to putting it back on for the purposes of the pictures.

My asking price is £570.00 and will be happy to strap it to a pallet if anyone wants to get it picked up and delivered.

How do I put the pitchers on here I am rubbish with pc's lol?

Phillyc

[/url]

As Requested

PHOTOS

wadkin2.png

its a beast :lol:

wadkin.png

Ruddy nora :shock: :shock:

:wink:

Looks like a table top model. :lol:

With nothing to compare it to, it's hard to believe it has a 2 foot blade.

Not sure if it's a competition, but I was doing that at 50 !! Out-of-work and brother's a cabinet maker.

Rob

clewlowm":fcw6zp59 said:
rubbish dust extraction. d c brake not even heard of.
nice saw though

It comes with a Riving Knife like i said just never got round to putting it back on for the purposes of these pics!

As for dust extraction it has a proper 4 inch extract duct to attach dust extraction pipe work onto it round on the other side of the saw!

clewlowm":1dnmf3ua said:
no extraction on the crown guard? as i said it is a nice saw. just has no place in a modern workshop.

Interesting opinion clewlowm. When I worked at Rycotewood in 2004 we moved one of those Wadkin saws from the old Thame site to the new building in Oxford-- it looks like it might be the same model.

I left Rycotewood in 2005 and it was still the primary ripsaw in the wood machining area. Some time in the late 1990s it was fitted with an electronic brake, but as far as I am aware that was the only significant modification as there already existed a port for dust extraction which was hooked up to the extraction system. I can't remember now if there was a hose connection on the crown guard, but there may have been.

I will be visiting Rycotewood on business this Friday coming. I'll be surprised if I find that that old workhorse has been retired from active service and removed from the building. I will probably be able to let you know one way or the other next weekend if you're interested.

I'm not sure that I agree with you that a functioning saw, albeit an old one, has no place in a modern workshop. Apart from the braking everything else about the model offered for sale looks to comply with current H&S legislation, and adding a brake and a bit of extraction on the crown guard for commercial workshop use surely isn't too difficult. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":3pcvobf4 said:
and adding a brake and a bit of extraction on the crown guard for commercial workshop use surely isn't too difficult. Slainte.

as a matter of interest how much would it cost to fit a brake to a saw like this ?

I have no idea bsm, but the technology is certainly available. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":1l8ahe3b said:
clewlowm":1l8ahe3b said:
no extraction on the crown guard? as i said it is a nice saw. just has no place in a modern workshop.

Interesting opinion clewlowm. When I worked at Rycotewood in 2004 we moved one of those Wadkin saws from the old Thame site to the new building in Oxford-- it looks like it might be the same model.

I left Rycotewood in 2005 and it was still the primary ripsaw in the wood machining area. Some time in the late 1990s it was fitted with an electronic brake, but as far as I am aware that was the only significant modification as there already existed a port for dust extraction which was hooked up to the extraction system. I can't remember now if there was a hose connection on the crown guard, but there may have been.

I will be visiting Rycotewood on business this Friday coming. I'll be surprised if I find that that old workhorse has been retired from active service and removed from the building. I will probably be able to let you know one way or the other next weekend if you're interested.

I'm not sure that I agree with you that a functioning saw, albeit an old one, has no place in a modern workshop. Apart from the braking everything else about the model offered for sale looks to comply with current H&S legislation, and adding a brake and a bit of extraction on the crown guard for commercial workshop use surely isn't too difficult. Slainte.

Hi . cant see that clewlowm has any intention of buying the saw , just making comments !!

Richard, purely out of interest. How are saws like this used in a commercial environment? I can't imagine it's used in quite the same way, say, Norm would use his Unisaw. Would it be just used for ripping longish lengths? More for stock prep, as opposed to the diverse ways in which we use more modern tablesaws? Or would it be used in every bit the same way any other TS would be ?

wizer":r6uniae0 said:
Richard, purely out of interest. How are saws like this used in a commercial environment? I can't imagine it's used in quite the same way, say, Norm would use his Unisaw. Would it be just used for ripping longish lengths? More for stock prep, as opposed to the diverse ways in which we use more modern tablesaws? Or would it be used in every bit the same way any other TS would be ?

It's a ripsaw, pure and simple wizer. It has no other real function.

Norm is an American working in America on an American machine; American saw usage and practice have no place in a commercial or professional British workshop with employee health and safety issues to consider. What British amateur woodworkers do alone in their own workshops with their saws is not really affected by the H&S legislation that covers business premises.

On a side note, almost no American saw gets close to complying with European safety requirements, and this explains why almost none of the popular American machines sold over there are seen here. Slainte.

Back