Door Handle Refixing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Apologies if this isn’t the right place to post this, but I’ve just had the door handle to my kitchen door come off in my hand and the exposed wood behind is in a right state - see pictures.

Any advice on how to fix that mess? I’d normally drill out the screw holes and glue a dowel in then re-attach but the whole right side is chewed up and there’s nothing left to attach doweling to.. looks to me like whoever fixed the handle mechanism has drilled too large a hole

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  1. take out mechanism
  2. tape up inside face where mech was
  3. fill void from outside face with closely sized patch of ply / plasterboard
  4. Add wood filler / epoxy resin / epoxy putty around edges
  5. remove tape (or not) then put mech back in and reattach handle
Martin

Many handles these days are of the "bolt-through" variety, that's what the holes either side of the spindle in the latch are for. As long as you get some bolt through handles with a big enough rose you might get away without doing any hole filling.

1 New handles with a larger diameter base plate and bolt through pins . 2 a plywood plate either side of the door ( 6mm ) you may need a longer spindle glued and clamped overnight, then re drill spindle hole / refit handles. 3 new door from scratch. Good luck 🤞

I would router a uniform shape out the door and patch in a piece of wood / ply.

Loads of epoxy and it will be just fine

If this is a hollow door - is there any space between the lock and the inside of the door sufficient that you could glue a thin strip of ply on the inside? If there is then you could put as large a piece as possible and make a new hole for the handle spindle and re-fix with normal screws not the thin soulless screws that are sometimes provided. If the existing/remaining screw hole hole has gone over large you might be able to use a yellow rawlplug so the screw has something to hold to.
btw if rehanging a door the screw hole behind the hinge is too large a yellow rawlplug can be helpful

Back