Dowels ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argonaut

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a wooden Pizza peel - birch ply -
Does the job well, but handle too short & narrow for comfort (for my size hands)

I had some offcuts of 12 x 60 Ash , so cut a length glued on some short shoulders to give me a 'T' shape and routed out the shape of the existing handle and inset that and the edge of the board, glued all that in place.
Then 'laminated' a 5mm piece of ash over the lot.

Looking at my 'good quality' kitchen knives they reinforce handles with though brass rivets ... thinking I could put in a few 'through' wooden dowels (have some 8mm hardwood dowels)
Any reason 'not' to use as through pins ? ..... I could drill blind holes if through dowels not a good idea.

Pic of 'added' handle attached. not particularly fancy just more comfortable to use.

peel handle-121602.jpg

Looking at my 'good quality' kitchen knives they reinforce handles with though brass rivets
Normally with a good quality knife those handles are ergonomic / decorative covers as the tang and the knife blade are all made from one piece of steel and no joints. With dowels you will be removing material rather close to the edge and you risk it breaking out, hence why the original was all one piece.

Back