Dishy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinka

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been spending a lot of time on the lathe and mill recently and neglecting the scroll saw, so I had an hour with it this morning. This dish was amongst the daily emails I get from Steve Good. Simple, but different to anything else I have done. 6mm external ply, stained mahogany. I've used this stain before and I still don't like it, I'll give it another coat tomorrow to see if it looks any better.

Attachments

• IMG_4244s2.jpg
    IMG_4244s2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 805
Martin.

Re - the stain, do you find that it makes saw marks etc stand out more.
I have some Liberon mahogany stain, which gives a nice uniform cover, but every saw mark or blemish stands out like a sore thumb, no matter how much sanding or finishing I do before applying.

Your bowl looks good though, I have made a number of these and the similar one with curves as opposed to the straight angles, I just soak them with Liberon lemon oil.

They sell well at the, Cats Protection shop as pot-pourri holders/bowls.

Take care.

Chris R.

Chris,

It does make the saw marks stand out, but even more annoying is I can't get an even coat or get rid of the brush marks. Mind you, I've never been any good at decorating either, and I don't suppose it helps that it's probably cheap stain. I bought it in Boyes, which if you don't know, is like Wilko's. That's not to sy everything in Wilko's is cheap. :D

I'm going to have a go at a solid bowl, which means cutting at an angle, something I haven't attempted yet. I've got plenty of cheap plywood to practice on. :)

Martin.

Martin.

I have cut a few bowls at an angle from (Carole Rothman’s) book, I cut round bowls at first and everybody thought that I had obtained a wood turning lathe, or that I had used my metal turning lathe.
So I cut some square and rectangle ones, just to show I was not using a lathe, and that I had used my scroll saw.

When you first start cutting on the angle you may find that your brain is telling you to turn in one direction but your hands want to turn in the opposite direction, that’s what I found, but it could be that I just have a screwed up brain. #-o

Also there is a lot of sanding to do, (Carole Rothman) uses a bobbin sander, but I can’t stretch the budget to one of those. :roll:

All the best for Christmas. :ho2

Chris R.

Chris,

I hate sanding, more for the mess than anything else. I am used to a (fairly) clean workshop and cleaning the bike is a job I am not too fond of. Having said that, I could make some sanding bobbins to use in the pillar drill, or even adapt them to one of my bench grinders.

Martin.

Martin.

I purchased two inexpensive bench grinders when (Lidl) had them on offer.

I discarded the grinding wheels, fitted one with polishing mops straight onto the existing spindles, with the other I turned, drilled and tapped an adaptor to mount a (carol) sanding drum, obtained from Axminster.

I know what you mean about the dust, I have a good clean up, then I am reluctant to start sanding again. :roll:

Chris R.

Good idea for the lidl grinder
I will look into that
Cheers
You can always rely on the good people on this site for fantastic ideas

Like the bowl, SG is a prolific writer. Don't know where he finds the time. As well as writing and designing plans he creates some great tutorials on YouTube. He must be responsible for encouraging many scrollers (if that is a word) me included.

nice bowl :) I've had that one saved for awhile but not got round to making it yet - nice to see you found a use for the cake stand....

Back