Cotswolds mini Bash - 14th July

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris,

I had another play with the flowers yesterday. Swmbo had a try as well. The greener pieces worked better than the dryer pieces. We didn't manage anything like what you were producing. We still had fun trying. Unfortunately the felt tips were old and in general didn't work.

I did try a key ring with two different woods. One piece was put down the middle of the other. Sycamore and mahogany I think. The result was very impressive. I glued up another last night ready to try tonight.

I've put the pen mandrel on my birthday list so hopefully somebody will get it. If not Rutlands have one going cheap.

Of course all this turning with kits will start to get expensive. Having said that it's still cheaper than going out and buying gifts for people.

Cheers for all the tips on Saturday. Should keep me out of spending money on bits for quite a while.

Dave

Like the sound of the two tone keyring Dave but can't quite envisage what you did, any chance of some pics or some more description ?

Cheers, Paul. :D

Gill":2r4sfrq5 said:
I'm just finishing some inlay work which I suspect turners might be able to adapt for use in their work. Since I wasn't able to get down on Saturday to discuss it personally, would anyone object if I was to post some step-by-step photographs here showing the technique?

Gill

I don't think anyone has answered your question yet Gill. Please post some of your photos. I think we were all disapointed that you couldn't make it. I for one would love to see a scroller in action. Partly for it's own sake and partly because I suspect that it could fit in well with certain kinds of turnings. Hopefully there will be aother chance soon.

Pete

I've got to admit i'm not really sure how the two combine :?
As anyone got a piccy of a finished piece for me to look at,and how it is done.
Paul.J.

Paul.J":3sh4uqx4 said:
I've got to admit i'm not really sure how the two combine :?
As anyone got a piccy of a finished piece for me to look at,and how it is done.
Paul.J.

Paul, the 'outer frame' is cut from the flat stock at an angle so that when it's placed/glued on the top of the centre piece it overlaps and forms a continuos rim. The scroll work insert in the base is also cut on a taper so that the joint between pieces is closed as the insert is pressed home.

Paul.J":2nsm5xj3 said:
Sorry i wasn't clear Chas,but i meant turning and scrolling :?
Paul.J.

OK Paul got my wires crossed there.

Gill and I have been discussing taking a piece of scrollwork inlay, similar in finished appearance to marquetry, and inserting it in a turned bowl or box lid etc.

I envision a simple recess in a lid for example with a scrolled picture let in.

One of the tasks will be to select an easy method of truing up the outer diameter of something 4-5mm thick of glued construction to fit in the recess without breaking the glue joints.

A Bowl could of course be built up from a scrolled flat base and concentric rings added for the sides much as Gill did for the tray, developing a method of inserting the design in a curved form one piece bowl needs a bit more thought, especially if the scrollwork is around the periphery in a band.

See something similar

Paul.J":nlox35us said:
So wouldn't that be like segmented work.
Paul.J.

Not really, I envision the bowl being turned complete and and the scrollwork added as an inlay in a groove around the sides or a recess in base etc.

Another version envisaged is to use more of a scrolled Intarsia subject as a proud relief (like my cherries) on the sides, rim or a lid.

There are so many possibilities. You could cut concentric tapering laminates from a fairly thin board and build up quite a sizeable bowl which would just need a little bit of lathe work to get that special 'hand-turned' finish.

You could also, as Chas suggests, scroll a 'relief cut' such as this test piece I cut from MDF:

Relief1.jpg

It's just one cut, made with the table set at an angle so the glass can lift a little way out of its backing but then wedge itself firmly in place.

Perhaps the easiest way to incorporate a piece of inlay would be to laminate it at the bottom of a bowl blank. As the bowl is cut, the inlay at the bottom of the bowl would be revealed.

I should imagine it would also be relatively easy to recess a piece of inlay using a router in the same way that you'd produce a 'dutchman'.

What I was really looking forward to on Saturday, though, was considering how scrolled (or even band sawn) cuts could be used to inlay features such as Celtic knots on pen blanks.

Gill

Good morning.
Gill.
It was a shame you wasn't their on Saturday,as i think i would have understood more as to what you are trying to do.
Like most i'm better at seeing things done to understand :roll:
I just can't envisage how to apply your work to a curved surface,unless your piece is inserted first,before it is turned,or am i totally confused and barking up the wrong tree,or just barking :lol:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":12f7qlei said:
Good morning.
Gill.
It was a shame you wasn't their on Saturday,as i think i would have understood more as to what you are trying to do.
Like most i'm better at seeing things done to understand :roll:
I just can't envisage how to apply your work to a curved surface,unless your piece is inserted first,before it is turned,or am i totally confused and barking up the wrong tree,or just barking :lol:
Paul.J.

You aren't alone Paul. I can see how it could be done if the inlay was veneer thin but otherwise I can only see how it could work on box tops or flat surfaces. I am sure it could be done but, like you would need to see an expert at work.

Gill":1va887da said:
.....What I was really looking forward to on Saturday, though, was considering how scrolled (or even band sawn) cuts could be used to inlay features such as Celtic knots on pen blanks.
Gill

Ohhh, been there done that, Chris (Ratwood) came along with completed and pre-production samples of the same so that people could get their heads round the subject.

Gill, we defiantly need to get heads together more often so that we don't waste limited brain cells reinventing the wheel. The one problem I find with the Celtic Knot thing is that I can get a mental image of how it is done when it is explained, and I have a sample in front of me, doing it is a different matter, I need a blow by blow staged sample set in front of me really to be able to explain it, or do it for that matter.

Bodrighy":2ys43769 said:
You aren't alone Paul. I can see how it could be done if the inlay was veneer thin but otherwise I can only see how it could work on box tops or flat surfaces. I am sure it could be done but, like you would need to see an expert at work.

Thats exactly the problem, us non experts are trying to develop an idea into a 'simple' practical approach, and see what is and what is not possible.

Gills' take so far on curved surfaces is that if you can insert a cored design into a blank that has enough depth (similar to when drilling and plugging) the design will be revealed in the round when turned.

A bit like Chris's method where he cut a blank at various angeles then glued it back together? I suppose it's the same sort of principle as segmented work where the geometricity (is there such a word?) looks totally different in the round. Like some of the stuff here

Pete

Looking at that site Pete,isn't the bamboo platter design what Gill ans Chas are trying to achieve,or is this a different method :?:

Bodrighy wrote
You aren't alone Paul.
Good to know i'm not the only one Pete.
Paul.J.

Back