Worcestershire Bash-3rd September

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kalvt22":1n5pri94 said:
Hi guys,
I've been talking to my friend chris Eagles tonight about this woodturners bash and I was hoping it would be alright if I popped in tomorrow for a look around (sorry its so last minute).
I'm keen on everything woodturning and it sounds right up my street to meet a group of like minded people.
Hope its not a problem
Kev

I'm sure it will be fine

More the merrier

Welcome to the forum Kev, I'm sure you would be most welcome, don't know how much will be of interest, not sure I understand how a group of spinny folks can spend a whole day just chewing the fat about spinning a bit of wood and generally mutilating it but it seems to be a popular pastime each year.

CHJ":3ieknf31 said:
Welcome to the forum Kev, I'm sure you would be most welcome, don't know how much will be of interest, not sure I understand how a group of spinny folks can spend a whole day just chewing the fat about spinning a bit of wood and generally mutilating it but it seems to be a popular pastime each year.

You'd be surprised, what's worse is I spend all day mutilating wood for a living (carpenter), then come home and do it for a hobby, and then go on the computer and talk about itor look at it!

kalvt22":3qkwygdp said:
You'd be surprised, what's worse is I spend all day mutilating wood for a living (carpenter), then come home and do it for a hobby, and then go on the computer and talk about itor look at it!

I gathered that from your Blog.

Can I just wish all you lucky people all the best tomorrow at the bash, I hope you have a fabulous day .

Love to be there maybe next time.

PS welcome to the forum Kev.

I am bringing my skew chisel with me tomorrow as a show and tell, I will show the bad grind and someone will hopefully tell me what I am doing wrong :D, see you all tomorrow

I would like to thank Peter & Sarah for providing a great venue for today's bash and Chris Eagles for providing the woodturning demo's. Unfortunately I had to leave early due to other commitments but for the few hours I was there I really enjoyed it, it was good to put name to faces as well.

Cheers

Steve :)

Names? have enough trouble remembering my own, but it was good to see some new faces joining the long term followers.
DSCN2966 (Large).JPG
DSCN2967 (Large).JPG
DSCN2968 (Large).JPG
DSCN2970 (Large).JPG
DSCN2971 (Large).JPG
]
DSCN2972 (Large).JPG
DSCN2973 (Large).JPG
DSCN2974 (Large).JPG
DSCN2975 (Large).JPG
DSCN2977 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2966 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2966 (Large).JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2967 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2967 (Large).JPG
    85 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2968 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2968 (Large).JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2970 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2970 (Large).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 535
  • DSCN2971 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2971 (Large).JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2973 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2973 (Large).JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2972 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2972 (Large).JPG
    69 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2974 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2974 (Large).JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2975 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2975 (Large).JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2977 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2977 (Large).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 534
Really good to see everyone. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would like to express my particular thanks to Peter for making his wonderful facilities available to us.

Also to Chris for his interesting demo's and sharing of his knowledge and skills in such good humour.

The demo and hands on go of the Alternative Skew was a real revelation. My grinder will be on overtime tomorrow

Just home from the bash.

Big thank you to Peter and his wife for hosting the event in such magnificent surroundings and a huge thanks to Chris Eagles for his superb all day demonstration. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The weather stayed kind and I think everyone enjoyed the chance to meet face to face and exchange ideas.

I came away with a lot to think about, especially the finials turned under tension.

Hope you all got home safely,

mikec

Just a note to say how great I thought today was.
Really nice to meet a bunch of like minded people in that amazing workshop (which I'm sure we're all jealous of).
Chris Eagle's demonstrations were his usual high standard and I never seem to tire of watching him work - he always makes it look so easy!
Thanks for making me feel so welcome and I'm sure I'll be a regular member of these forums from now on (my wife will be pleased!)
Cheers guys
Kev

Hi All,

Firstly, a very big thank you to Peter and Sarah for their kind hospitality and to Chris for the great demos, (and especially for making it so accessible for the kids - I was dragged straight out to the lathe for 15 minutes before tea-time so they could practice!).

Thanks, too to Chas for taking the photos and also to Mrs Eagles for the excellent cake! (Perhaps we should have a turner's cake thread started, to swap recipes).

Great to meet you guys and thanks for including the kids - they came away buzzing.

Cheers,

Greg, Jacob and Eleanor

I would like to also add my thanks to Peter and Sarah for hosting us, and for providing tea, coffee and charcoal so that we could take turns burning food on the barbecue ;) I would also like to thank Chris, Chas and mikec for the demos.

I too will be out into the workshop as soon as I can to regrind my skew chisel.

Just to put a few names to the faces – thanks to:-
Chas you are the one behind the camera - thanks for the photos and the buffing demos
Mike c for the pen turning demo - completely new to me
Chris for a whole day behind the lathe as great and refreshing as ever
Sarah and Roy for helping with the food and organizing the day

A list of some of those who attended
Geoff Davis (Jethro)
John Walker (Benchwayze)
Kevin Aluit (Kalvt22)
Colin Stratton (Wood Spoiler)
Greg Mcateer with Jacob and Eleanor (2 well behaved youngsters who Greg should be very proud of)
Chris Ward (Frugal)
Paul M (Paul M)
Robert Burns (EX student)
Paul Hannabs (Paul Hannabs)
Doug Barratt (Doug B)
Simon Britton (Psyman)
Liam Scanlan (Liamscanlan)
Martin Lawrence AWGB
Simon (knappers)
Steve Jones (Steve Jones)

Sorry If I have missed anyone off the list (I am sure I have). Just to let you know I really enjoyed the day and company and do hope to see you all again. I was asked if we are doing any more open days/events the only one scheduled to date is a hand tool event with Classic Hand Tools at the school on November 26th. I will also be demonstrating at Harrogate on the 18th-20th November.

I would be happy to host your Bash again next year if asked, but I’m mindful that it is your event. I would be very keen to see you guys doing more turning again if you can work around our health and safety. If any of you would like any bespoke turning tuition, Chris teaches for me here on Mondays as required for groups of 2 or 3 and can cover a wide range of topics.

So please make contact with me if you require any specific help, and as I am sure you saw today, we cover all aspects of furniture making, veneering, wood machining and wood finishing here at the School (advert over :wink: )

Glad you all enjoyed it …

Cheers Peter

I have to say it was a brilliant day out, many thanks Peter and family for allowing us in to your wonderful school, Many thanks to Chris for what looked like a tiring (for you, but not for us) and thoroughly enjoyable day's demonstration. I came away totally inspired and eager to get back in t' shed. Hat's off to a fantastic day out and so nice to put names to faces.

Also to everyone else who helped organise it.

Look forward to more meets.

Thanks Peter and Chris, a great day out in lovely surroundings, and lots of tips and ideas to try out at home.

Many thanks indeed, and good to meet up again with old friends and make some new ones.

Cheers, Paul

An excellent day. I would like to add to the thanks others have already given.
As a turning newby, it was inspirational. Lots of advice was gained on how best to start using my new lathe acquisition.
So good to put faces to names, too.
Just realised from the earlier post I was the only one without a surname listed - so for what it's worth, it's Knapton (hence the Knappers tag).
Looking forward to the next one....

Si.

I would just like to add my thanks to Peter et al. =D> =D> =D>
- a full and rewarding day (hammer) ,
in beautiful surroundings in workshops with great facilities :mrgreen: ,
good company :D
and tremendous demonstrations ... =D> =D> =D>
what more can I say! :lol:
Liam

I can only whole heartily agree with the comments so far, a really enjoyable day, many thanks to Peter for the use of his excellent facilities, i hope his generosity brings just rewards.

I thoroughly enjoyed Chris`s demonstrations, very relaxed but informative at the same time, well done & thanks chris.

As paul has said, it`s good to meet up with old friends & make new ones, putting faces to names is always nice.

Meetings like this are always inspiring & i`m happy to say that after a year so far that i have done woefully little turning I`ve been in the workshop all morning sorting out & will be at the lathe all afternoon. :D

Thanks again to all involved.

Cheers.

I would also like to add my thanks for the hospitality. Sorry I had to leave early but we had other commitments.
For anyone close enough, there is the Forest of Dean woodturners club. We meet monthly at Weston Under Penyard which is a couple of minutes from the end of the M50. If anyone is interested, we're always glad to see visitors. The website is at http://www.forestwoodturners.co.uk

Back