Coping saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's yet another option: buy a mixed box of tools containing an old turning saw with no blade. Slightly shorten the spreader bar and fit a standard coping saw blade. Add some cord and a scrap of wood.

20150202_095216_zpssil1wg2p.jpg

This one was made by Marples.

20150202_095244_zpszp24iyp0.jpg

A lot of people tend to go for a coping saw because 'that's what you use', but for stuff that is under 3/4" / 20mm thick a jewellers saw is often a better option as you can drop the finer 5" unpinned blade straight down the saw kerf and just zip straight across the baseline.

Dovetailing_zoom1.jpg

This is the titanium version but the 5" screw tension will cover most furniture requirements and also gives great tension for around £40.

We have also developed a new blade in conjunction with Pegas specifically for dovetailing. The DPR blades have 'skip and a half' toothing which gives optimum waste removal and a fine finish without being juddery. All of the teeth face towards the centre so you get an entry side cut on both faces - really smooth to use.

I think this thread is covering the options rather well! Something for everybody's tastes. Tradition and innovation side by side. :)

Now that's a lovely looking saw, I wish I could afford one there's no question I'd have one!

I like the wooden ones too, I think I'll make one of those. What type of string should I use?

Something strong waxed string was used on the old ones but I don't think its available these days, para cord will do.

Pete

I have just checked Para cord on Ebay, some funky colours about!

Racers":2wnwtrxl said:
Something strong waxed string was used on the old ones but I don't think its available these days, para cord will do.

Pete

Google "waxed string" - 10 metres from ebay for £1.50!

That saw from WH is a doozy - those blades I'd read about elsewhere, not too pricy and getting a good face cut on both sides sounds worth the extra.

Racers":3rwt4jgi said:

Pete

Just use lots of loops of thin string - ordinary kitchen drawer parcel type/butcher type string.

BugBear

I was umming and ahing over string, in the end used what I had as I needed to use it there and then and it worked very well - I covered it in linseed oil to stop it being too furry, and then it even looked ok aswell,

Cheerio,

Carl

Back