computer advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimiJimi":3s05d9ls said:
Chris

I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1, hated it, and downgraded again, following the advice here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to- ... -7-or-8.1/

Jimi
jimi, I don't think he can downgrade to w 8.1. as his laptop came pre-installed with windows 10. If you have windows 8 or 8.1 on you computer, then you can upgrade for free, but I don't think you can do it the other way around.
I have windows 10 on my laptop and I can't say that I like it, but I got used with it so I am going to leave it for now.
I didn't like windows 8 either. The best one was w 7.

ChrisR":pavzrbty said:
Windows 10 installed automatically,
You allowed the system to do that by not configuring the system correctly.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't give advice to others.

It is my understanding that although Windows 10 can install automatically onto your PC, it still requires the finanl authority to complete. If that is not given, then it reverts to the original system, or so I have been told. It therefore seems that Chris may have done this without realising what he was doing, as I feel sure many people may have. I don't think it is a question of not configuring the system correctly.

I think Chris was only trying to be helpful to the extent of his knowledge, like the majority of us here, but there are those who do not give any margin of error in their understanding.

I have chosen not to download Windows 10, at least for the time being, as I am perfectly happy with my W7 Ultimate and do feel that there may still be 'bugs' to be sorted out.

My advice would be to install ubuntu 15 with Mate on your old machine. You probably wont want to move to another machine. All the software you will want either comes with it or is downloadable. Everything is free,

Well, here I am on new computer :) BUT I now have two computers and a phone all unable to send or receive emails :oops:
Have reset passwords for Microsoft and BT, which has not helped, going to need to take them all along to an expert :cry:
Thanks for all the suggestions, and it is nice to know I am not alone in really not knowing about computers

Here is my take on windows 10. I have installed it on 3 desktops and one laptop, I still have 1 desktop running W7 (which I will convert to W10 at some point) IMHO W10 works just fine in fact it's not a lot different to W7 and every programme I use (even very antiquated ones) seem to work perfectly fine on W10.
Once windows 10 is installed (and also after it does any major upgrades) go into the settings menu and turn all the 'spying' stuff especially under the privacy tag, this will prevent your info being sent to MS and it will also speed up your PC.

After you have 'fettled' W10 it will look and work not much different to W7, if you asked me what advantage does W10 have over W7 I don't think I could give any except that W10 is the future and MS have said there will not be any more such as W11 so they will just keep updating this version whereas W7 will gradually become unsupported. If you are undecided about upgrading to W10 for free make sure you do so before July 29th 2016 as after that day you will have to pay!

If you have already upgraded to W10 make sure you change the privacy issues in the settings menu (plenty of info on-line how to do this)
and Make sure System restore is still turned on for your OS drive (C drive) as some installations and upgrades to W10 default to system restore being turned off!

Latest posts

Back