Competition Pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I made this for a competion on another forum

sadly no-one liked it ,,i guess it was a bit too different

C & C welcome

Steve

Attachments

• Pen.jpg
    Pen.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 2,145
It's a nice pen, personally I would of liked a bit more detail in the middle... shame not one person liked it.

I think it's great. The form and the materials both look good in my opinion, although I don't know how comfortable it would be to use with that sharp change in diameter when the cap is removed.

I'd be well pleased if I'd made it!

Duncan

hi Steve
personally i think thats a really nice looking pen.

as Duncan said
"I'd be well pleased if I'd made it!"

keep up the good work and please keep on showing us your wonderful pens.
cheers paul-c

Duncan A":2fc8qfoc said:
I think it's great. The form and the materials both look good in my opinion, although I don't know how comfortable it would be to use with that sharp change in diameter when the cap is removed.

I'd be well pleased if I'd made it!

Duncan

these are one of my favorite kits
they do look a bit of change in diameter
but they fit in the hand so nicely

Steve

paul-c":33irwvjh said:
hi Steve
personally i think thats a really nice looking pen.

as Duncan said
"I'd be well pleased if I'd made it!"

keep up the good work and please keep on showing us your wonderful pens.
cheers paul-c
we dont see many pens in here tbh

I would happily post some more up if people want to see them
I have only been turning a short amount of time and there is so much better quality turning in this forum

Steve

My wife made and sold pens for a time and no matter what the pen looked like sooner or later someone would come up, zero in on it and be delighted with their purchase. Just because it wasn't a star in the competition doesn't mean it isn't a good pen. I think it looks good.
I am not familiar with the kit it was made from so don't know if the nib and feed can be removed easily. If it isn't glued in I would pull it out and align the nib to the bevel at the other end. That would be my only criticism of it.

Pete

Inspector":fnt4ptk0 said:
My wife made and sold pens for a time and no matter what the pen looked like sooner or later someone would come up, zero in on it and be delighted with their purchase. Just because it wasn't a star in the competition doesn't mean it isn't a good pen. I think it looks good.
I am not familiar with the kit it was made from so don't know if the nib and feed can be removed easily. If it isn't glued in I would pull it out and align the nib to the bevel at the other end. That would be my only criticism of it.

Pete

no need to remove feed

the kit is an Omega...not sure if i can post supplier ?

i could just knock it apart and turn it
it was set like that so it sat in the hand better
sometimes feel has to surpass aesthetics IMHO

but agree it would look better aligned

Steve

Hey Steve

Just another vote and liker here. I haven't had the chance to turn the Omega (or the Zeta from the same company) but I really like this. I am not sure about the varying width on the "handle" but everyone seems to rate the kit very highly so I will just have to buy a kit and try it for myself!

I have been turning nothing but Sierra pens from TB recently - wood and acrylic and they're going down a storm with my friends!

Is the turning all acrylic or is the white bit a wood?

Thanks for sharing!

Coll

Hi Coll

can i mention supplier (any Mods)?
the blue is from tb..acrylic
not sure where I got the white from but it is polyester
the transition between the 2 when turning was interesting
the sierra is one of my favorites
I have just turned 25 of them for my daughters wedding as table gifts \ steal them when u leave \ leave a little note
Steve

I think it's a nice looking pen too, good colour combination, nice shape. Good work Steve.

Personally I think the angled blue end of the pen looks quite heavy, and think that if it was slightly tapered to match the pen lid it would be better.
I also had another thought, there is colour bleed in to the white polyester from the blue so was wondering if there was a way of stopping the colour bleed. Perhaps painting the ends of the white polyester tube before gluing, or gluing in a layer of silver foil to reflect the light back in to the polyester. I have no idea if gluing polyester to silver foil is possible, but I reckon it would look good if it works.

I think it is e very nice pen Steve unfortunately there was a lot in the competition, I would not change it and would be proud of producing such a well turned and finished pen.

Like yours mine did not get a look in either but it was still great fun entering and also making the pen.

The supplier of the kit that Steve has made is Taylor Mirfield and you will find Dan who owns it very easy to talk to if you need anything, I have nothing to do with the company but I am a happy customer

SteveF":1u27rpbl said:
..can i mention supplier (any Mods)?..

No problem at all as long as it's only as a satisfied or otherwise customer with no associated commercial interest.

Back