Amazon T-Mech Lathe Spindle Adapter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcelroy

Reaction score
Hi,

I received a T-Mech 4 Speed Wood Lathe (Model 28088) for Christmas. I want to turn pen blanks using a mandrel. The lathe is advertised as having an M18 spindle on the headstock and Tailstock. It looks like the pitches are different. The tailstock takes an M18 2.5 nut but the headstock looks like it has a smaller pitch. I can‘t find any pen mandrels for the M18. I did find one that will fit a 1” 8tpi thread. I looked for an m18 to 1” 8tpi adapter but can only find an M18 2.5 Adapter. Does anyone have experience with this lathe to confirm sizes or can point me at an appropriate adapter?. Thanks

Hi,
I know this won't be welcome advice but I'd really recommend returning that lathe if you can, and looking for something with a through head-&-tailstock and more mainstream thread size.

Many turning accessories need a morse taper fitting, including pen mandrels, which I don't think can be fitted to this lathe.

I had a very similar lathe myself in the very early stages of turning and upgraded after only 3 months as it couldn't do what I needed.

There is a member here who will make up custom adaptors if required, just search for a thread on 'Parkside lathe' and you should be able to find him (can't remember the username offhand)

Hi,
I know this won't be welcome advice but I'd really recommend returning that lathe if you can, and looking for something with a through head-&-tailstock and more mainstream thread size.

Many turning accessories need a morse taper fitting, including pen mandrels, which I don't think can be fitted to this lathe.

I had a very similar lathe myself in the very early stages of turning and upgraded after only 3 months as it couldn't do what I needed.

There is a member here who will make up custom adaptors if required, just search for a thread on 'Parkside lathe' and you should be able to find him (can't remember the username offhand)
Hi. I did think about returning it but it was a gift and Amazon won’t let me return it. I saw the Parkside lathe question and that might be the way to go. I just need to confirm the pitch. There’s a company selling a screw on mandrel to fit a 1” 8tpi thread, which isn’t ideal but it might let me get going to see if I take to it. In the long run I think a new/used lathe is the way to go. Cheers

Back