Cabinet material for outdoor kitchen?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I need to make some cabinets for my outdoor kitchen (see attached image). The building has two walls, is open on two sides and has a roof. The cabinets would be in the area marked up. They'd be semi-sheltered most of the time but in some rainy and windy conditions, they would get a bit wet but not drenched.

I'm thinking about making the cabinets the same way you would kitchen or bedroom cabinets, i.e 18mm carcass from sheets with adjustable plastic legs.

Would Marine Ply work for this project? I'd probably varnish them to give them extra protection and make the inside easy to clean.

For the face frame, I think I'll go with Accoya.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards, Andrew

Attachments

• cabinets.jpg
    cabinets.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
What you are planning is normally found in the washing areas of caravan and camping sites. The preferred material is a solid laminate, such as Trespa. High-quality HPL panels | Trespa International
This is used for the campsite shower areas and in sports complexes and swimming pools. I've also seen it used for exterior cladding and I've used it for my router table.

Colin

Thanks guys for you replies. I live on an island, Phonolic and Trespa panels are not readily available. Importing sheet goods is expensive.

The builders yards here have Marine ply, would it work?

Cheers Andrew

I'd be interested to know how expensive the Marine Plywood is. It is designed to withstand salt water contact for many years and used to be eye wateringly expensive. I would be very surprised if a builders yard sold it. They are probably trying to sell you a WBP [water and boil proof] generic hardwood plywood that would be a fraction of the price, probably £60-£80 for a 2400 x 1200 x 18mm sheet.
If you soak such a plywood with a good quality exterior finish you should be OK for a few years, when you will need to reapply the finish.

Colin

You could think about a pull across waterproof ‘curtain’ across the front of the kitchen opening to stop any rain or spray entering the whole area

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

I agree with the comments on Marine ply, there is a lot of rubbish sold as Marine.

Although the face of the cabinets will be in direct contact with occasional rain the carcasses will be better protected by the worktop and doors. But I think the use of exterior glue for the laminations is critical as they'll be in a damp environment for hopefully many years.

I will check out the specs of sheet materials before buying.

My understanding is that WBP plywood and marine ply have similar characteristics in relation to weather resistance, but marine ply is structurally stronger, with no voids in the internal layers. If that's true, marine ply will have no advantage in your project. I would suggest WBP ply and use a good quality CPES on each panel pre assembly to ensure the edges are sealed. Done thoroughly this will last a lifetime.

You could avoid high tech materials route, and use masonry i.e. brickwork with possibly thin paving slabs for the shelves. The doors and frames could be something like larch or western red cedar which would age gracefully.

My local builder's yard has a product called EKOply for around £100 a sheet 19mm thick. It's a sheet product made from recycled plastic.

It looks good, the only thing is it doesn't take glue very well and I'd like to attach an accoya face frame to the cabinets. Stick like sh*t might work.

Does anyone know how best to glue or attach timber to plastic?

Last edited:
My understanding is that WBP plywood and marine ply have similar characteristics in relation to weather resistance, but marine ply is structurally stronger, with no voids in the internal layers. If that's true, marine ply will have no advantage in your project. I would suggest WBP ply and use a good quality CPES on each panel pre assembly to ensure the edges are sealed. Done thoroughly this will last a lifetime.
Thanks Tom, what is CPES please?

WBP plywood just isn’t what it says on the label anymore, most of it will not survive the conditions mentioned. I would either go down the plastic route- preferred, or Marine, the last Marine I used was really good stuff, BUT ymmv.
Ian

Thanks Tom, what is CPES please?
Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer
E.g. Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES)

I've used it to seal 1/2" WBP panels for the sides of my car trailer which is outside in all weathers. At least 10 years later there is no sign of staining from damp penetration. I cut each panel to size and drilled the fixing holes before sealing thoroughly with at least 2 coats of CPES and then a 2 pack epoxy 'varnish'.
From your photo it looks like your cabinets will be well sheltered - there appears to be a regular electric consumer unit o the same wall so excessive damp isn't an issue.

Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer
E.g. Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES)

I've used it to seal 1/2" WBP panels for the sides of my car trailer which is outside in all weathers. At least 10 years later there is no sign of staining from damp penetration. I cut each panel to size and drilled the fixing holes before sealing thoroughly with at least 2 coats of CPES and then a 2 pack epoxy 'varnish'.
From your photo it looks like your cabinets will be well sheltered - there appears to be a regular electric consumer unit o the same wall so excessive damp isn't an issue.
Nice one, Many thanks Tom.

Which CPES and Epoxy Varnish did you use?

Hi all

I need to make some cabinets for my outdoor kitchen (see attached image). The building has two walls, is open on two sides and has a roof. The cabinets would be in the area marked up. They'd be semi-sheltered most of the time but in some rainy and windy conditions, they would get a bit wet but not drenched.

I'm thinking about making the cabinets the same way you would kitchen or bedroom cabinets, i.e 18mm carcass from sheets with adjustable plastic legs.

Would Marine Ply work for this project? I'd probably varnish them to give them extra protection and make the inside easy to clean.

For the face frame, I think I'll go with Accoya.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards, Andrew
Hello. I'm planning to build some cabinets that will be outside on a covered dock at the lake. The cabinets will be exposed to heat/cold/humidity but they will not really be exposed to direct sunlight nor rain as they will be in an outside-covered bar area.

Does anyone have experience with different types of products that could be used for cabinets in this type of environment? I've looked up some of the different materials used in outdoor kitchens but it seems that HDPE may be required when truly outdoors but could be overkill when the cabinets are covered? I'd like to hear any good or bad experiences (and sources in the Raleigh, NC area) with the following products I've heard about online:
  • Marine plywood
  • MDO
  • Extira
  • Sentra
  • Starboard
  • Denetec
  • Lastly, just using Cypress for boxes and frames/doors/drawers
Anyone have experience with the products above in a covered, outdoor environment? If required, I'm OK with painting the 'wood' for protection and not opposed to knowing it will need additional coats applies in future but looking for something that will be a good balance based on cost, durability and maintenance.

Hello. I'm planning to build some cabinets that will be outside on a covered dock at the lake. The cabinets will be exposed to heat/cold/humidity but they will not really be exposed to direct sunlight nor rain as they will be in an outside-covered bar area.

Does anyone have experience with different types of products that could be used for cabinets in this type of environment? I've looked up some of the different materials used in outdoor kitchens but it seems that HDPE may be required when truly outdoors but could be overkill when the cabinets are covered? I'd like to hear any good or bad experiences (and sources in the Raleigh, NC area) with the following products I've heard about online:
  • Marine plywood
  • MDO
  • Extira
  • Sentra
  • Starboard
  • Denetec
  • Lastly, just using Cypress for boxes and frames/doors/drawers
Anyone have experience with the products above in a covered, outdoor environment? If required, I'm OK with painting the 'wood' for protection and not opposed to knowing it will need additional coats applies in future but looking for something that will be a good balance based on cost, durability and maintenance.
Don't recognise them apart from the first 2.

What about cedar is I've very rot resistant and available esp in USA.

Back