Best place to buy timber in the north west (wigan area)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damien Wright

Reaction score
I've been a fabricator for over 25 years now, and a lot of my work involves some woodworking to add some class to the projects, buying steel, aluminium, brass, zinc, copper and stainless is easy, buying good quality wood is almost impossible! I always end up at BnQ or savoy timber, both of which aren't great quality. Why this country is so far behind America with things like this I have no clue, for example, the mrs asked me to build her some nice planters, so I figured cedar fence pickets are all over youtube as a cheap easy wood to use. Only I can't find anything like that, it's all pressure treated dung at half the size of what's easily available over there, and finding it untreated is just not happening. So after some searching I found and bought some redwood timber from sherman and young for almost £100, for two square planters.. They were the only place I could find that actually sold redwood, it's good timber, but really it shouldn't be this hard to find good quality timber at a descent price, buying timber online just isn't my idea of fun either, it's expensive as hell and I can't see or choose the boards myself. So I've finally decided to ask for help from the people who know about this stuff because spending hours online and finding nothing of use is getting to me, from a website I just can't tell if they sell nice timber, if I can physically go and pick it myself or if it will be £150 to get 4 or 5 boards delivered.

I apologise for the rant, this post follows an hour of online searching and questioning my sanity. If anyone can suggest a good place to visit in my area for hardwoods, and nice redwood for outdoor projects I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance

@

Damien Wright

Hi, Wigan Timber have now ceased trading, not sure where I will go now.
For Oak and Walnut I make the trip to British Hardwoods at Keighley, decent timber but I've not been there for a couple of years

For Oak and Walnut I make the trip to British Hardwoods at Keighley, decent timber but I've not been there for a couple of years
Same, excellent place and helpful to hobbyists. One of the owners spent about an hour with me on a Saturday morning picking through a whole stack of oak to find the best quarter sawn.

They also stock ash, beech, cherry and tend to have it in good numbers. I've been after some Elm which seems to be hit and miss as to whether they have any in.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will probably end up using those places, they are a bit of a drive away, but since I have no closer options as of now I'm glad there is at least a couple of choices,

As for the cedar pickets, do we just not have access to those 150mm boards that the Americans can get at the home depot? Like I said above, all I can find are pressure treated and half the size

It is strange that in the cities we are really stuck for anything other than spruce CLS or banana shaped redwood. I use Reynolds Building Supplies in Wallasey and they stock some decent 4X2 reds in a good length. Most timber yards that have anything slightly more exotic never seem to sell any as it's covered in thick dust! Some yards aren't even stocking arcs or skirts in redwood anymore, going for MDF instead...

Your close to a big cedar importer/stockist silva at widnes most would wince at the cost though! illingworth Ingham are around there. Lavers to.

Your close to a big cedar importer/stockist silva at widnes most would wince at the cost though! illingworth Ingham are around there. Lavers to.
I just had a quick search of where you mentioned, it seems the silva place has permanently closed,

But the illingworth place looks promising, it seems they have douglas fir which is a bonus, thank you for bringing that to my attention, although I really hate websites that don't show available sizes and prices, that usually means it's extortionate, but I will give them a try 👍

I’ve not bought much beyond medite mdf, some ply and oak, but Atlantic Timber in Altrincham have always had a good selection, and have quite a decent offcut bin too.

There is also Trafford Timber, which is maybe 15 mins away from Atlantic Timber if you are making the trip this way from Wigan
I've just realised that 'trafford timber' is illingworth, or at least that is the website the link takes me too, so considering that a few of you have mentioned that supplier I'll definitely give them a try, thank you.

Back