Semi-permanent workbench project....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that looks like a good option at a good price, keter stuff is normally pretty well made, would be interested to hear how you get on with that
Thank you. Yes, it looks pretty good. When I picked it up, the lady at Toolstation was telling me that they can't get enough of them.

So far, so good:

- Decent size working area. I have a B&D Workmate (a vintage one!) as well, so using the two means I can, for example, attach a mitre saw to the B&D using a Benchclaw and move between the two. Or, I could buy a mitre saw stand and thus have two relatively portable workstations.
- Sets up super easy and fast.
- Can be packed away equally easy and fast.
- It weights next to nothing.
- Once erected, it has a shelf underneath for placing tools etc. That effectively makes the space available almost twice as much - that's on the lateral thinking basis that a longer workbench would be used for placing tools etc so the space taken up by them has the same impact on actual "workspace" if that makes sense!
- Comes with a clever clamping system (and 2 clamps) that allows vertical and horizontal clamping.
- Very portable, so can be easily moved from my space when we need to use the room for it's main purpose and / or doing jobs elsewhere (my sister is on her own now, so I often get a call.....)

The only negative I have so far is that it's made from plastic so is, ultimately, breakable. The support in the middle is quite stiff to click into place and really needs a good tug when packing the thing down and I'm vaguely concerned about how that will stand the test of time if set up / taken down a lot. But, many of the reviews I read before buying were from professionals who largely swore by it and said it was the "first thing to go in the van", so that give me some confidence.

I'd still love a proper, dedicated workroom! My shed is only 8' x 6' and stuffed with garden tools and my DIY tools. We have no room for another building (and I wouldn't want one anyway - this is our garden and I don't want lots of buildings in it!)

Thank you. Yes, it looks pretty good. When I picked it up, the lady at Toolstation was telling me that they can't get enough of them.

So far, so good:

- Decent size working area. I have a B&D Workmate (a vintage one!) as well, so using the two means I can, for example, attach a mitre saw to the B&D using a Benchclaw and move between the two. Or, I could buy a mitre saw stand and thus have two relatively portable workstations.
- Sets up super easy and fast.
- Can be packed away equally easy and fast.
- It weights next to nothing.
- Once erected, it has a shelf underneath for placing tools etc. That effectively makes the space available almost twice as much - that's on the lateral thinking basis that a longer workbench would be used for placing tools etc so the space taken up by them has the same impact on actual "workspace" if that makes sense!
- Comes with a clever clamping system (and 2 clamps) that allows vertical and horizontal clamping.
- Very portable, so can be easily moved from my space when we need to use the room for it's main purpose and / or doing jobs elsewhere (my sister is on her own now, so I often get a call.....)

The only negative I have so far is that it's made from plastic so is, ultimately, breakable. The support in the middle is quite stiff to click into place and really needs a good tug when packing the thing down and I'm vaguely concerned about how that will stand the test of time if set up / taken down a lot. But, many of the reviews I read before buying were from professionals who largely swore by it and said it was the "first thing to go in the van", so that give me some confidence.

I'd still love a proper, dedicated workroom! My shed is only 8' x 6' and stuffed with garden tools and my DIY tools. We have no room for another building (and I wouldn't want one anyway - this is our garden and I don't want lots of buildings in it!)
If you want to extend the portable work approach a bit more in the future an MFTC is a nice project and exceptionally versatile.

Back