Bench Morticer Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonnyW my morticer has just been delivered [24Hrs] and while checking it over for transit damage [none found] I measured the side - to side table movement for you, and it is ~150mm.

monkeybiter":iutvpfl9 said:
JonnyW my morticer has just been delivered [24Hrs] and while checking it over for transit damage [none found] I measured the side - to side table movement for you, and it is ~150mm.

Mike that's for that - really appreciated.

Glad to hear it's in one bit - hopefully mine will be the same by the time it reaches the middle of the north sea!

I did wonder why the Charnwood's table movement spec was different.

Axi has it listed wrong on their website then.

I wonder if the back-to-front movement is 75mm and not 40mm as listed by Axi?

Jonny

JonnyW":3sqikjpe said:
monkeybiter":3sqikjpe said:

Glad to hear it's in one bit - hopefully mine will be the same by the time it reaches the middle of the north sea!

Jonny

It probably is about 75mm. Bear in mind it's limited by the throat depth (chisel to pillar minus a bit for the back fence in between). If you want a mortice further out you need to reverse the stock (being careful to remember face side + edge DAMHIK!), and it will hold much wider stock (there are three positions for the base of the clamp to be fitted).

The throat depth is the most significant limitation to using it as a pillar drill (but that's still handy though).

E.

Eric The Viking":6rd185yk said:
JonnyW":6rd185yk said:
monkeybiter":6rd185yk said:

Jonny

It probably is about 75mm. Bear in mind it's limited by the throat depth (chisel to pillar minus a bit for the back fence in between). If you want a mortice further out you need to reverse the stock (being careful to remember face side + edge DAMHIK!), and it will hold much wider stock (there are three positions for the base of the clamp to be fitted).

The throat depth is the most significant limitation to using it as a pillar drill (but that's still handy though).

E.

Thanks Eric, much appreciated.

Jonny

Mike. Axminster has the wattage wrong on their on-line spec as well, as I see from the (online) manual that it's 375w.

So it's basically 'exactly' the same machine.

Jonny

JonnyW":24mq6c7l said:
Mike. Axminster has the wattage wrong on their on-line spec as well, as I see from the (online) manual that it's 375w.

Jonny

I'd check with Axminster directly - I suspect they've uprated the motor recently and not changed the manual. (the new one's motor looks quite a bit wider than mine, which _is_ the 375W version).

If they have, it should be better in tough hardwoods.

Eric The Viking":sqb7vp5h said:
JonnyW":sqb7vp5h said:

Jonny

I'd check with Axminster directly - I suspect they've uprated the motor recently and not changed the manual. (the new one's motor looks quite a bit wider than mine, which _is_ the 375W version).

If they have, it should be better in tough hardwoods.

Ah yep ok. That makes sense Eric

Thanks again.

Jonny

Jonny/Eric I did check the motor before I re-wrapped it and the machine ID plate and the motor ID plate both state 550W. :D

Nice and quiet too.

Excellent. Nice one.

Mine not arrived yet, so I'm hoping it'll be here any day now.

I'll check to see if it's in one piece and then re-wrap the thing - bummer!!!

Thanks for that Mike, appreciated.

Jonny

I'm going to either convert or make a unit for the mortiser to be stored in and placed on, but as per a previous comment on another thread I posted, 42kg is a bit of a weight to lump around.

I did think about making a wheeled unit for it and permanently fixing it to it, but that defeats the purpose of buying a smaller mortise for a smaller home workshop that can be packed away.

I saw this idea on Youtube. Fantastic idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPtHcFtB1mU

So that's my new year project.

Jonny

Eric The Viking":nk0b7mvt said:
I am EVER SO GLAD you posted that!

What a really good idea. My only concern would be the method of locking the tabletop in the two positions - has to be a good vibration-proof method.

I can see a plan coming together... :)

I don't like the idea of the door holding everything in place. There could be an improvement there.

My cunning plan Eric, would be to add some slip bolts to the locking flaps underneath the unit to lock them in place to the table top (if that makes sense!!). You would be left with two small holes in the top of the unit in the closed and open position though - but you would have bolt heads showing in the closed position, so aesthetically it wouldn't be a problem. This would mean that the door of the unit could be opened during use.

I see what you're saying about vibration. Hmm, possibly the addition of a rubber seal on the top of the locking flaps or pads on the table top that engage with the top of the locking flaps.

My brain is buzzing!

Jonny

Two ways of looking at the storage for the machine.

The you tube idea is very clever but when the machine is stored away the top can only be used as temporary storage.

A mobile base with the machine fixed to the top will give you good cupboard space beneath.

I only have a small workshop so always have to consider use of space. I did think of alternate ideas for my machine but for me storage won the day, with a cotton cover over the machine.

Hemsby":yndqt68j said:
Two ways of looking at the storage for the machine.

The you tube idea is very clever but when the machine is stored away the top can only be used as temporary storage.

A mobile base with the machine fixed to the top will give you good cupboard space beneath.

I only have a small workshop so always have to consider use of space. I did think of alternate ideas for my machine but for me storage won the day, with a cotton cover over the machine.

Good point, especially as one huge limitation of my space is that I can't as a rule fix anything to the walls.

It's also damp, so the other perspective is that enclosing the machine has advantages for rust prevention. I do get good results using bin liners and WD40 sprayed beneath (or Liberon machine wax if not putting away for the winter), instead of your cotton covers (otherwise another good idea, obviously). I can put a cylinder heater in the cabinet if I'm worried about damp, too. 30W costs little to run and in a small volume like that will work fine and is quite safe and robust.

I understand the temporary storage issue when the thing is inside the unit, but for me the unit will be pushed under my bench when not in use.

Jonny

Fortunately my workshop does not suffer with damp, due to the use of a dehumidifier. My reason for covering any infrequently used machines is only to keep them clean.

I would have concerns using any plastic material to cover machines in a damp environment due to possible increased condensation trapped beneath. Cotton covers (rob some from Grannies bed) :) or cotton dust sheets would have no adverse moisture effect.

Machine arrived today. Lovely looking thing and well built.

All in one piece and wow that's a quiet motor.

Unfortunately like a spoilt little brat, I kinda huffed a little having to repackage the thing ready for Santa to throw it down the chimney. If he can lift the damn thing that is.

Looking forward to giving it a good test run over the Christmas holiday.

Jonny

I ordered the 13/16th conversion bush. Just to see if it fits and to open up the options a little.

I'll keep you posted.

Jonny

Back