How good are the budget Mortisers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had Delta, Charnwood, Axminster, NuTool and Record morticers, all do the job fine if you accept the limitations of smaller motors, chatty hold down clamps etc. (Maybe not the NuTool one so much, it was pretty dire). The Axminster one you provided the link to is by no means the least capable of these, similar to the Charnwood and Record with x y table and a decent bit of weight to it.
As long as you're making stuff of an appropriate size and take your time then it's all good, one of my favourite power tools as I don't have the time or patience to hand cut mortices but it is a satisfying way to join bits of wood together.

I bought the Axy one last year and it's performed just fine the small amount I have used it. I reckon [and I'm no expert!] that the chisels probably have as significant an impact as the machine, within reason. I also bought a couple of the Axcalibre quick set chisels to go with it and they work fine for me. [better than my previous cheaper ones]

In fact if you search there'll be a thread on here....here you go
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/bench-morticer-advice-t93165.html?hilit=morticer

Having used a few, I don't have one in my own workshop. I need to be cutting a LOT of joints to make having this machine worthwhile. If you are doing less than about 100 mortices a year in a home workshop, maybe the space is better consumed by something else.

Having brought a bottom of the pile budget mortiser I would say aim for the Axminster or record if you are purchasing anything in the budget end of the market.
Having no patience for less than suitable tools or tools that need constant tweaking to work optimally my mortiser was used for one job then retired to other duties (crappy pillar drill or sanding duty).

I suspect you'll see more than one person say their mortiser 'retired' when a domino arrived.

Guys thanks for your input, but perhaps a bit of explanation may be in order, I enjoy my woodworking immensely, but I have osteoarthritis and using a hammer and chisel is out of the question if I want to work for any period of time, even using a screwdriver is a task I try to avoid, I have an external gate to construct next year and was thinking the Mortiser would be a handy thing to use for the joints, the joints in the gate not my joints. :wink:

Mike

I have a small Rexon (without the moving table) that I priced into a job about 15 years ago and it's been fine apart from the poor casting of the hold down snapping. I wouldn't give a thank you for one of the round pillar drill stand types, though. A lot of the problems with the small ones (possibly some larger ones as well) can be overcome by careful sharpening and polishing of the chisels and sticking some coarse abrasive on the clamping surfaces. Dominos might be the best invention ever for woodworking, but I can't see me doing enough in my lifetime to justify the cost - and I do not own a tool of any description that owes me.

Quite a few years back I had a multico bench morticer which cut very well and was a very useable machine. However it was stolen and I then replaced it with make which was total carp. From memory it was one with a twin column that twisted under pressure.

The multico was this model
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morticer-Mult ... SwMVdYH5SE

So if you go for one get a machine which has a really solid cast column. Im sure there are members on here that have midels that can advise.

Be aware that the smaller lighter models will need more force to plunge than a floor standing version, like the multico, sedgewick etc.

I found the multico bench machine cut into softwood easily with a 1/4 or 3/8 chisel, even 1/2 in softwood but in a hardwood like oak a 1/2 chisel is too much force.

Thanks guys for the input so far, going back to my project i.e. the external gate would a Domino joint be man enough on a 2M tall pair of gates, it always seems to me to be a bit on the small side for that type of joint even four up, whereas a full mortise and tenon joint would seem the best bet?

Mike

I built a gate using an axminster hobby morticer and had no problems. However the axcalibur chisel I bought at the same time was soon ditched in favour of a brimax Japanese one and the difference in quality was quite noticeable.
I would say the drill/chisel is more important than the machine.

Bill

I bought a Ferm one for a one off job many moons ago and though i haven't used it that much it does an ok job within limitations. There is not a lot to them, so even a fairly cheap one will work to a decent enough level.

MikeJhn":3ktbs0ak said:
Thanks guys for the input so far, going back to my project i.e. the external gate would a Domino joint be man enough on a 2M tall pair of gates, it always seems to me to be a bit on the small side for that type of joint even four up, whereas a full mortise and tenon joint would seem the best bet?

Mike

A debate similar to this came up a few weeks ago but for external doors ie is a Domino up to it? I recall that in the end the general feeling was that the roulette wheel was related to the glue joints being more likely to fail over time. Therefore the risk averse option would be to have some mechanical strength in the joint beyond a loose tenon. No one could corroborate with actual facts about the longevity of a domino joint in an external piece of joinery because they've not been around that long.

I will stick my neck out here though and state one piece of my own experience. I made two planters from an up cycled pub bench with my Domino just after I got it which is now circa 5 years ago. I used cascamite and doubled up on the dominos in each joint. I also put casters on them so they could be moved around the patio easily (by my wife who loves the garden). They're showing no sign of any deterioration yet. No looseness whatsoever and they have been dragged about quite a bit.

Here's a couple of snaps to give you the idea:
Patio planter 11.jpg
Patio planter 14.jpg
Patio planter 1.jpg
Patio planter 16.jpg

Attachments

• Patio planter 11.jpg
    Patio planter 11.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 1,523
  • Patio planter 14.jpg
    Patio planter 14.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,524
  • Patio planter 1.jpg
    Patio planter 1.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 1,524
  • Patio planter 16.jpg
    Patio planter 16.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,524
  • Patio planter 19.jpg
    Patio planter 19.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 1,227
Great information Guys, with your help I think I now have sufficient information to make a choice, substantial pillar and sharp Japanese chisel's.

Can't justify the cost of a Domino.

Once again thanks for all your posts.

Mike

Managed to win an Axminster AW16BMST2 on e-bay with six chisels, don't know the quality of them, but at least its something to start with and practice sharpening with, just have to wait until I can pick it up and get it down to my workshop, which will not be until the New-Year now.

Thanks for all your help Guys and compliments of the season to you all.

Mike

MikeJhn":fh8gkozy said:
Great information Guys, with your help I think I now have sufficient information to make a choice, substantial pillar and sharp Japanese chisel's.

Can't justify the cost of a Domino.

Once again thanks for all your posts.

Mike

What are you going to buy Mike, of the two Axminster "hobby" ones the bigger one on the stand looks to be good but +£500. It will cut 19mm mortices in softwood wonder how it will get on in oak? It might be on the shopping list next time I drive to the UK.

I've had a couple of the Charnwood version of those, you'll be well chuffed with it I think. Seriously heavy morticer, be prepared to take it to bits if you're by yourself, there are 4 bolts behind the central pillar which will separate the base from the rest of it. 13mm heads if I remember.
Good luck.

Hot Stuff

Thanks for that, that thought had crossed my mind, I am also contemplating getting the riser block that attaches exactly where you say to separate the central pillar and base so I would be half way there if I did that. :lol:

Mike

Back