Barn Conversion to workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any issues with fluorescent lighting and machinery? I'm thinking of 50Hz strobing

the rule used to be fit twin tubes with moving machinery as one tube cancels the others strobe effect

phil.p":2h9sqfxc said:
I have LEDs over my lathe that strobe.
I was going to say that I'd have thought the pulse frequency would be much too high (1000Hz+) but then I guess that would still cause problems with something spinning at the right [wrong] rpm.

woodaxed":2h9sqfxc said:
the rule used to be fit twin tubes with moving machinery as one tube cancels the others strobe effect
Interesting - didn't know that; thanks.

phil.p":1x3nuaxn said:
Surely if both tubes ran off the same phase they'd strobe just the same? I can see the point of wiring two or three series of them on two or three phases in a huge place to avoid this.
My dodgy understanding of electronics makes we wonder if some capacitance in the system may be introducing a phase shift, such that two bulbs in one fitting will pulse with an offset from one another (same frequency, but just at different parts of the "wave").. Wild speculation on my part.

You can get tubes that are designed not to give you the strobe effect

woodaxed":1ajya9s8 said:
Any issues with fluorescent lighting and machinery? I'm thinking of 50Hz strobing

The last I heard of this strobe effect, and rotating machinery and materials, we were advised to fit strip lights in pairs, but a "TEE" formation whereby one strobe cancelled the other.
Please advise if this is, a load of old cobblers in which case I'll take it off my list for the next pub quiz, (been waiting to use it for ages).
Regards Rodders

The last 3 weeks have been a chore studding out all the walls and then insulating between rafters and stud work resulting in 140mm on the roof and 70mm in the walls.
I seem to have been over zealous with the ordering as I have 19 sheets left over.

1st fix electrics have been completed. In the end decided to get these lights, I'll let you know how they work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281371525612

20151124_130520.jpg

20151124_130557.jpg

phil.p":2spe762k said:
Allelomimesis. That's one for your pub quiz. It's when birds or animals all do the same thing at the same time, like flocks of starlings changing direction instantly. By the bye. :D What's the TEE formation?

Sorry, for not replying, I've only just found this.
As in a tee hinge or letter tee, 1 light going in the opposite direction, across the top.
I was told that this cancelled the strobe affect that can have dangerous consequences.
Regards Rodders

Half way through second fix electrics and the electrician has got the lights working for me so no longer working in the gloom. :D
I will report later if there is any strobe effect caused from the lights, but at the moment the lights seem nice and bright (photos don't show the brightness)

20151126_164516.jpg

20151126_164451.jpg

I hope to complete the boarding this weekend and start the jointing.

Does anyone know where this would be situated and how it would be wired? As there is very little info on the Felder website. I'm guessing near the distribution board
http://uk.feldershop.com/en/Extraction/ ... -oxid.html
with my limited electrical knowledge you wire one on these into the control unit and place the transformer coil around each machine feed wire that you want to start the dust extraction.
http://uk.feldershop.com/en/Extraction/ ... start.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, can't help you with the electrical question, but as Wildman says, "Coming on nicely"
And thanks for the pics, looking forward to the benches going in and the kettle and tea area sorted,
It's always worrying until that's sorted!
Regards Rodders

A couple of observations:

I fitted LED high bay lighting in the middle of my workshop as you are doing but found I have an issue with shadows around the perimeter with the light source behind me when working, ended up with 5' LED tube fittings over the benches.

I think trying to wire in the remote control extractor system may be problematic, you will need to wire in a
CT coil either in each machine control box/starter, or at the fuse board if each machine is on separate circuit.

You will then need to provide a dedicated circuit to the extractor, with possibly no over ride option.

I suggest you install some hard wired remote start/stop switches around the shop, depending on your dust extract system, you may still need to manually operate the blast gates for each machine.

Tonytygwyn":1x5wloee said:
Does anyone know where this would be situated and how it would be wired? As there is very little info on the Felder website. I'm guessing near the distribution board
http://uk.feldershop.com/en/Extraction/ ... -oxid.html
with my limited electrical knowledge you wire one on these into the control unit and place the transformer coil around each machine feed wire that you want to start the dust extraction.
http://uk.feldershop.com/en/Extraction/ ... start.html

Any help would be appreciated.

I can't help on this specific question, but you have my sympathy. I bought mainly Felder machinery for my current workshop, including a Felder extraction system. The hardware is excellent, but the customer support isn't too good. They seem to be given very little local flexibility and have to follow the original Austrian plan to the letter, so in areas like electrics you get almost no help and assistance. A lot of their tooling falls into the same trap in that the web site seems to miss critical dimensional information but no one locally is empowered to change it.

Its been a while since I updated this post...

Well most of December was wiped out by a holiday and then the Christmas holidays... So not much has changed in the interior I'm still finishing up the plaster boarding. At the end of December there has been the rush to get the solar panels installed before the tariff drop... the panels were installed and I've been trying to get the roof finally water tight between down pours. Just three more ridge tiles to fit.

20160112_132335.jpg

20160112_132359.jpg

While shopping around online for rubber flooring.

I have found 8 different websites and counting selling the exact same products at the same price even the same contact number. Obviously this is one company. Surely this is at least misleading to the consumer and falsifies competition. Just seems very dodgy to me... Anyone have any experience of this, is it a trading standards issue.

Well they won't be getting my business :x . Rant over

rubberflooringsuk.co.uk
ukrubbersheet.co.uk
rubbermattingco.co.uk
rubberflooringco.co.uk
expressrubberflooring.co.uk
rubbermatting-direct.co.uk
rubberflooring-direct.co.uk

Back