ANYONE WITH AN ELU/DEWALT 1251 RAS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve just purchased anElu 1251 RAS which is the same as the Dewalt 1251.

Mine hasn’t come with the back fence and would just like some advice on this.

If you have one I would appreciate some advice.

It’s just how far back/forward do you place the rear fence and how high should it be?

Furthermore, the oval shape dust port on the saw is not an ideal shape to connect up to round dust extraction hose/pipe. How have you done yours? Have you adapted a piece of pipe/tube to get around this? I know you can buy and extension piece which is about £8.00, but this still maintains the same oval shape at its far end, so the issue of converting over to round pipe/tube still exists!

Many Thanks

Hi,

I don't have the same saw, I have a DW110. I think they are great saws btw. The back fence on a RAS is normally just a strip of wood 12 - 18 mm. The key to a RAS is in the table, its best to fabricate one your self when you understand how it should work. Try searching for the mrsawdust book as a pdf download, then you will know everything you ever needed to know and more about RASs.

I had a 1501 for many years. A model up from yours. I think bigger with a longer arm, but possibly the same motor. The standard fence only stands about 30mm above the table surface. The table is fixed. There were some small adjustable screw clamps at the back of the 1501 that clamp the fence against the rear edge of the table. I don't know if the 1251 has these. When you looked at it, the clamps were designed to grip something about 70mm wide. The machine shipped with two strips of mdf same as the table but about 25mm wide. This meant you could arrange these strips and the fence in any order you like between the back edge of the table and the clamp jaws. If you move the fence backward you can cut wider boards but are limited in thickness. Put the filler strips behind the fence and your max width is a couple of inches less but you can cut slightly thicker boards.
I used a thin 6 or 8mm sheet of mdf as a spoil board over the thick mdf of the table. You commonly cut a half mm into the tabletop and of course you saw through the back fence. These are disposable and easily replaced so you can make versions in different sizes. If you use a spoil board, you may want to make your back fence a few mm taller.

I had the folding, portable version. The table came in 3 different width pieces (that's front to back not side to side) which trapped the fence & allowed it to be positioned either in front or behind the blade.
The most popular dust collection seemed to be a surround at the rear. The dust port can be adapted to circular by using a suitable length of plastic tube, heated with a hot air gun to make it malleable so it fits over the metal outlet.

re: dust port -

You can buy the part that joins to this - it looks like its rubber so should fex to fit a round hose. This is what i was going to do, but i had a look about my junk pile, and found a bit of landrover coolant hose, which fits damn near as if it were made for the job!

The other end takes my henry hoover nozzle, but, at some point, ill adapt it for my proper extractor.

Note, that with the flow from the henry, dust is reduced, but a fair bit still gets kicked out the back and up the wall. So its imperfect.

Many Thanks for your replies and pics. This has really helped. I just think it's a poor decision to make such an odd shaped dust outlet port on the machine. Round/circular yes, but oval which will require it to be converted into round doesn't make much sense to me! I have seen the spare part. It's readily available on eBay but it's just an extension and maintains the same oval shape. Anyway......a bit of adaptation and it can be solved!

Ill see if i cant take a photo of mine later in the day. I think it is probably landrover part number ESR2491 - but i looked at the cost, and it is hardly cheaper than the ELU part, so not really much point in buying one.

Arnold9801":2av8o5ck said:
Many Thanks for your replies and pics. This has really helped. I just think it's a poor decision to make such an odd shaped dust outlet port on the machine. Round/circular yes, but oval which will require it to be converted into round doesn't make much sense to me! I have seen the spare part. It's readily available on eBay but it's just an extension and maintains the same oval shape. Anyway......a bit of adaptation and it can be solved!

Remember that the design of these is over 30 years old when dust collection wasn't recognised as so important. The oval port is a wide as it can be limited by the width of the guard, and a round one within that limitation would be smaller.
The makers supplied that small rubber deflector to throw the dust backward and probably never intended anyone to attach a hose.
Until recently the dust outlets on most circular saws were equally useless for connecting extraction hoses and many still are.
Times change. Some things improve.

The hose to my Elu RAS just pushes on to the oval fitting on the blade guard. Standard hose, nothing special, never dropped off. Just checked the pipe, appears to be 50mm OD 38mm ID black corrugated pipe.

P1060949.jpg

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1060949.jpg
    P1060949.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 163
Farmer Giles":jvr19982 said:
The hose to my Elu RAS just pushes on to the oval fitting on the blade guard. Standard hose, nothing special, never dropped off. Just checked the pipe, appears to be 50mm OD 38mm ID black corrugated pipe.

Cheers
Andy

Cheers Andy for illustrating that flexible ribbed hose can be adapted to still fit the oval port. I have plenty of this and will give it a go tomorrow.

Regards

julianf":1os5szbh said:
Ill see if i cant take a photo of mine later in the day. I think it is probably landrover part number ESR2491 - but i looked at the cost, and it is hardly cheaper than the ELU part, so not really much point in buying one.

Thanks for this idea re the Land Rover part! Send a pic if possible?

Regards

Sideways":1asi9tqs said:
Arnold9801":1asi9tqs said:

Remember that the design of these is over 30 years old when dust collection wasn't recognised as so important. The oval port is a wide as it can be limited by the width of the guard, and a round one within that limitation would be smaller.
The makers supplied that small rubber deflector to throw the dust backward and probably never intended anyone to attach a hose.
Until recently the dust outlets on most circular saws were equally useless for connecting extraction hoses and many still are.
Times change. Some things improve.

This is a fair point and easily overlooked!

Regards

julianf":wb2ge6mp said:

Here are some photos for you -

My henry isnt stuck in there at present, but the standard henry nozzle fits into the pipe fine, and stays there without a pipe clip.

The connection to the RAS is just a round pipe, but it forms fine over the oval outlet, and seems to hold fine over the lip of the RAS outlet with a standard clip.

Again though, much of the dust is thrown out the back.

A universal car steering rack gaiter will do the job to connect to the oval outlet but most of the dust will still come out behind the blade.

I have a RAS DW1251. I just finished the renovation. I'm going to install sawdust extraction.
If anyone is interested in the renovation of the saw, I invite you to my channel on youtube.
I'm new so pls click on signature :oops:

This saw in my country is very rare. So I'm looking for information where I can ... :lol:

Back