Dewalt 7492/7491 table saw problems, a bit of help would be welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradyS

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening,

I must ask the forum members who use this Dewalt table saw model for a bit of help, assistance, advice.

I bought mine 1 year ago but it only has no more than 10 hours of work in total. Probably less. At about half of this runtime, I noticed that the front rack began to move 1-2 mm to the left and right while the lock lever was activated. So basically the fence wood slip during cuts. Soon after, the lock lever stopped applying pressure. It would engage and get into the locked position but both front and back racks could be moved by hand. I tried to gradually adjust it according to the manual but to no avail. The lock lever would only become sturdier and I could barely lock it but the rails (racks) continued to move freely.

Took it to the service and it came back about 3-4 weeks later (twice the normal time) allegedly 'fixed'. The service guys avoided to tell me what the issue was, said something about a theoretical broken plastic thingie in the lock lever mechanism (there's no plastic there).

Next, when lowering the blade it would drop, skipping steps/rotations. They said it was normal for this saw. After I started using ptfe lube the saw became not normal and no more skipping steps. But I have to repeat the lubing every few cuts, otherwise it starts dropping again.

Finally, there's a play in the motor/blade housing. A pretty big play I would say. Again, they said it is normal.

I don't know how things are in the UK, but here service technicians are so overwhelmed by the huge amount of machines to repair that they won't have time 'to waste' on petty issues like the motor housing moving during the cuts. Or at least not for a 700 EUR saw.

Ok, long story short, after adding another 5 hours of runtime, all of the sudden the front rack started moving again, showing the same symptoms.

I turned it upside down, started checking screws, cleaned it well, lubed it. After tinkering around with it, the lock lever stopped clamping at all and the rack now moves freely (again!).

I will post the videos with all these symptoms. If any of you could give me a (written) hand, I'd be much obliged. The saw has 2 more years of warranty but I'm in physical therapy and can't carry it to the service for a few months at least.

Attachments

• VID_20231014_205651494.mp4
    42.3 MB
  • VID_20231014_211838170.mp4
    23.9 MB
This shows the first symptoms.

I'm sure there can be am easy fix because this part is mechanical, I just can't figure out how pressure is applied to lock the rack in place.

Attachments

• VID_20231014_211152827~3.mp4
    36 MB
your saw looks be as brand new and just out of the box , I have a very similar saw and had no such problems . I can’t help with the rack and pinion issue as mine are perfect and I’ve not had that issue . the movement in your video where you are holding the dust extraction port seems to suggest that the motor adjustment bolts are loose - have you checked them - is your saw blade square to the mitre slot . Either way this should have been sorted by the service / repair engineer . In my limited experience of table saws in general your saw is not safe to use due to the movement of the motor and the fence issues . Contact the seller or the dewalt helpline // customer service dept if you can’t sort it yourself

your saw looks be as brand new and just out of the box , I have a very similar saw and had no such problems . I can’t help with the rack and pinion issue as mine are perfect and I’ve not had that issue . the movement in your video where you are holding the dust extraction port seems to suggest that the motor adjustment bolts are loose - have you checked them - is your saw blade square to the mitre slot . Either way this should have been sorted by the service / repair engineer . In my limited experience of table saws in general your saw is not safe to use due to the movement of the motor and the fence issues . Contact the seller or the dewalt helpline // customer service dept if you can’t sort it yourself
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately all bolts are tight. Everybody I talked with from dewalt customer service to the service personnel claims that this is normal and within parameters. From the very beginning I suspected something was wrong with this one but I was already out of the return period.

your saw looks be as brand new and just out of the box
Thank you, I take good care of my machines.

I certainly can’t imagine this to be normal -it just doesn’t seem right . I have the dewalt 745lx which is very similar to yours . There are probably members that have the exact saw that may of had your issues ..if your out of warranty then maybe consider removing the plastic covers to expose the sides and give you a better view of what’s happening . Good luck 👍👍

I certainly can’t imagine this to be normal -it just doesn’t seem right . I have the dewalt 745lx which is very similar to yours . There are probably members that have the exact saw that may of had your issues ..if your out of warranty then maybe consider removing the plastic covers to expose the sides and give you a better view of what’s happening . Good luck 👍👍
I still have 2 years left of the extended warranty.

I found out why was the fence moving and the rack not clamped. There is a little bit of info on this online, enough to point me in the right direction. The clamping bar that runs to the front of the saw is stuck. It is so stuck that I couldn't nudge it by hammering, wd40, nothing. Normally I should get it out, clean it and the hole, lube it and put it back in. I left it full of wd40, hopefully some will get inside and help it glide out.

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_155138687.jpg
    IMG_20231015_155138687.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231015_155142488.jpg
    IMG_20231015_155142488.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
I also found what seems to cause the wobble/movement of the casting, the blade housing. Below the two screws under the back side of the table, which you use for aligning the blade when it's not parallel to the mitre channel, there is this thing. I don't know how to call it, it seems part of a mechanism that's supposed to be holding the back of the aluminum blade housing in place, fixed. As you can see, something in there moves when I move the housing by hand.
It feels like there's a screw missing or something.
I have not been able to find any related information online, although I only searched in English.

Attachments

• VID_20231015_152238724.mp4
    41.3 MB
Been at work all day - the service you have received is not what I would expect in the uk - at least it sounds like you are closing in on the problems , fyi penetrating oil is far better than wd40 or even better is plus gas if you can get it ..

Been at work all day - the service you have received is not what I would expect in the uk - at least it sounds like you are closing in on the problems , fyi penetrating oil is far better than wd40 or even better is plus gas if you can get it ..
I thank you for the advice.

Since nobody else replied I contacted Dewalt and filed a conformity complaint. I also found motor play on the trunnion, play in the blade rod which causes the blade to tilt. It's only minimal, doesn't cause what I'd call a wobble, but it's there. And the nut also doesn't seem to clamp the blade enough as the entire locking assembly causes the blade to move 2-3 mm to the front and back.

I'm about to get the machine to an authorized service this week, will post more afterwards as I get more updates. I'm very curious as to how this will be fixed.

If it’s as you have described and I’ve no reason to doubt what you have said I’d be telling them in no uncertain words that this machine is not fit for purpose and is quite possibly dangerous to the operator . How did you pay for it ie debit or credit card ? You should be able to contact your card provider under the consumer rights etc ( at least in the uk you can ) stick to your guns and demand it’s replaced or a full refund . These saws can be dangerous when in full working order but yours is not safe as it is ( in my opinion ) good luck and let us know how you get on ..

If it’s as you have described and I’ve no reason to doubt what you have said I’d be telling them in no uncertain words that this machine is not fit for purpose and is quite possibly dangerous to the operator
That is close to what I said to the DeWalt operator over the phone and he agreed.

You should be able to contact your card provider under the consumer rights etc ( at least in the uk you can ) stick to your guns and demand it’s replaced or a full refund
Here things get a bit more complicated. It's purchased by my company. The statutory warranty expired but I have extended warranty which is under DeWalt's terms and conditions. Nevertheless, as it's bought within the EU, we still have that Conformity thing. From what I know although it's not advertised much here, all electric and electronic and machinery products, mainly everything that needs to be plugged to work needs to comply with the conformity requirements for a given period of time (I believe here is 3 years) in terms of a few main aspects one of them being Operator Safety even if the statutory warranty expires. I don't want to misinform, this is what I know from information which I got in my other activity. Hence, I filed it as a conformity complaint related to Operator Safety to be sure it will be treated diligently.

And there's the fence clamping getting broken (stuck) again in just a few hours of runtime which to me hints to a construction issue. As we also say it here, I drew the short straw.

good luck and let us know how you get on
I know in normal circumsntances the logical thing would be to replace it and I'm very curious to see their approach.

I thank you again for the support,
Brad

That is close to what I said to the DeWalt operator over the phone and he agreed.

Here things get a bit more complicated. It's purchased by my company. The statutory warranty expired but I have extended warranty which is under DeWalt's terms and conditions. Nevertheless, as it's bought within the EU, we still have that Conformity thing. From what I know although it's not advertised much here, all electric and electronic and machinery products, mainly everything that needs to be plugged to work needs to comply with the conformity requirements for a given period of time (I believe here is 3 years) in terms of a few main aspects one of them being Operator Safety even if the statutory warranty expires. I don't want to misinform, this is what I know from information which I got in my other activity. Hence, I filed it as a conformity complaint related to Operator Safety to be sure it will be treated diligently.

And there's the fence clamping getting broken (stuck) again in just a few hours of runtime which to me hints to a construction issue. As we also say it here, I drew the short straw.

I know in normal circumsntances the logical thing would be to replace it and I'm very curious to see their approach.

I thank you again for the support,
Brad
Just hope you get it resolved 👍👍

Back