Anyone here had medication/operation for disk back problem?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife has had sciatica since last October caused by a slipped disk
would anyone pm me if they had experience of a disk operation or the medication to cure their problem. My memory says someone on a forum did make a comment in the past year.

I empathise with your Missus; painkillers can only do so much and the heavy-duty ones play merry hell with your guts.

There is a rub-on medication which is chillis in lanolin, can't remember the trade name. It's very effective in flushing the affected area of your back, tends to reduce/dilute the inflammatory chemicals around the nerves, gives relief. Volatarol is a swizz; utterly pointless.

Lying on your back on a hardish surface, and trying to raise your right knee toward left shoulder (and vice versa) has the effect of mildly stretching the spine and reduces compaction of vertebrae on nerves, result: nerve not so pinched.

Weigh loss brings benefits too.

Sam

Many years ago I was unable to work with severe back pain.
4 seperate GP's were unable to come up with a sensible answer over a month period..
A chiropractor had me back to work in three days.
Just worked it out, that was 35 years ago. back is still fine.

If October was the first time it's a bit too soon to consider surgery. I had mine injected.

I slipped a disc about 8 years ago, sciatica is awful just grinds you down, I was unable to lift anything or really walk for about a month and overall it took about 18 months to return back to normalish.
I was prescribed codine in reducing dosage but it don't half bung you up and when you have a terrible back thats not good news. Initially I took some dodgy stuff I got hold of to kill the pain, but it was over the top and basically sent me to La la land.

I found exercise is the best preventative.

Tried osteopath over past four weeks, no joy, painkillers creating confusion and sleepy problems, latest treatment offered a nerve block injection for the leg pain only, waiting time 15WEEKS, or privately same place tomorrow, not fair, and might last only a short time. Still no treatment for the back where the MRA scan revealed the disk has slipped.
Does a disk go back on it own for an eighty year old?

I had problems with a trapped nerve in my neck that caused pains in the opposite shoulder & arm.
I had physiotherapy (private) which helped but in the end the Physio said she could do no more for me and I was wasting my money.
I dont think I had a decent night's sleep in 2 years.

Then I had electro accupuncture, now I'm not saying it totally cured me, but it quickly (within 24 hours) made life much more bearable.
I want to say I studied as a medical science technologist so have a decent idea how the body and conventional medicine work and have always dismisssed this stuff.

I tried everything to ''cure'' my Sciatica, drugs, Osteopaths, exercise, blah blah blah. Slept on the floor for 2 years because I couldn't lay on a bed comfortably.

I eventually had a discectomy and the Scatica hasn't returned.

lurker":wmuhwi5x said:
Then I had electro accupuncture, now I'm not saying it totally cured me, but it quickly (within 24 hours) made life much more bearable.
I want to say I studied as a medical science technologist so have a decent idea how the body and conventional medicine work and have always dismisssed this stuff.

The placebo effect is awesome, and little understood.

https://www.wired.com/2009/08/ff-placebo-effect/

BugBear

The placebo effect works best if you're just 'swinging the lead' to begin with. :-D

NazNomad":2ji9uyhh said:
The placebo effect works best if you're just 'swinging the lead' to begin with. :-D
The placebo effect works even if you don't believe in it, and even if you KNOW you're being given a placebo.

Hence: "awesome".

BugBear

bugbear":1ciz58hn said:
NazNomad":1ciz58hn said:
The placebo effect works even if you don't believe in it, and even if you KNOW you're being given a placebo.

Hence: "awesome".

BugBear

Brings to my mind some scenarios of past scenes and history, i.e. the touching of a person and giving them a cure.

I've been hospitalised with a ruptured disc before, not fun. Time was the cure.

As far as I'm aware (and I'm not medical in any way shape or form), the only way medication will help the source is if the issue is caused by inflammation and that can be reduced. You're otherwise looking at painkillers to address the symptoms, or surgery to remove part of the disc (microdiscectomy I think it's called).

An operation should be the last resort. I recommend your wife tries a course of massage/manipulation first. Osteopaths take a lot of criticism but they cured my father and brother of serious back pain.

John

From experience, going to an Osteopath for something you've had long term is much like putting new wipers on a broken windscreen.

I have had issues with my back for years ( I'm 67 now) and I still get a sciatic twinge down into my leg. However there are two things that seem to help. Firstly I take glucosamine every day which really seem to work. Our doctor recommended it too, so it seems to be getting some official recognition. The second thing is gentle exercise.

Most mornings I lie on my back, knees drawn up, and move knees to touch the ground on each side, repeating about 12 times. Then, lying with straight legs, raise one leg slowly and stretch to opposite side as high as possible, toes stretched. (Right leg to left shoulder and vice versa). Repeat with other leg. Again repeat - I do about 12 of these with each leg.
Finally, lying with knees drawn up, raise the back as high as possible and let return to the floor. Again repeat.

When my back started playing up I started with about 5 repeats and have built up to 12 repeats, and that seems to keep me reasonably flexible.

Seems to work for me.

K

bugbear":3owntovk said:
lurker":3owntovk said:

The placebo effect is awesome, and little understood.

https://www.wired.com/2009/08/ff-placebo-effect/

BugBear

Like I say I am not exactly dumb when it comes to human physiology and have considered the placebo effect. Whatever it was its allowed me to get on with life with only background discomfort whereas in the past I was getting very depressed due to pain and poor quality sleep.

Latest posts

Back