Amperage Draw From Motors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreToolsPlease

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
I'm lookign to buy a 4 side planer for my workshop, but I have some power limitations.
I'm looking at a couplew of second hand ones, but woudl like to know the approximate amperage draw for a given size motor.
The 2 I am looking at have 32.5hp and 22.5hp.
It woudl be handy to knwo the maximum draw, and also the normal operating draw.

many thanks

Matt

the only thing i can help with is 746watts is one hp and watts are voltsxamps.
1hp =746watts so if we are using 240volts current is 3.1 amps which would be running current, start current is higher.
looking at your hp you will be 3 phase so the above will not be to helpful but the current will be divided between the three phases.

I = HP x 746 (w) / 1.73 x E x buzz x PF

E = Voltage / I = Amps /W = Watts / PF = Power Factor / buzz = Efficiency / HP = Horsepower

32.5HP!!! Christ, what are you making, an ark??

The average current consumption is a difficult one as the peak will be when it is started or when it stalls, running without load is the lowest and most common but the machine isn't used like that, different hardness of materials will require different power levels.

However, 32.5HP or even 22HP will draw something huge, how come you are looking for such large machinery if you don't have robust power supplies?

Aidan

We currently have the usual over hand planer and thicknesser, but with a 4 side planer this will reduce our machining time by around 80%.
The first one I had lined up needed 96 amps :D that was 64hp for the 5 motors, but there wasnt enough capacity to run it.
so these 2 are only babies in comparison, but should still offer the same time saving. they have 4 or 5, 5.5 to 7.5hp motors on them, hence the high numbers.

Latest posts

Back