2016- The Year to reduce the woodpile.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last of the Burrs done today, tried yet another method of mounting and aligning based on the niggles encountered during the last few days efforts, think I will make myself a set of steel balance weights that can be easily bolted to the mounting chuck, using wood offcuts results in a lot of unwelcome bulk to trim the knuckles on if not very deliberate in actions.
Once again more time spent in handling the piece than actually turning form.

Acacia Burr. (275 x 210mm.) (Walnut foot)
DSCN5405.JPG
DSCN5406.JPG
DSCN5407.JPG
DSCN5408.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5405.JPG
    DSCN5405.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,113
  • DSCN5406.JPG
    DSCN5406.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • DSCN5407.JPG
    DSCN5407.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • DSCN5408.JPG
    DSCN5408.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,113
CHJ":2voslg38 said:
Another oddment of local hedgerow Elm that has come to light, quite strange to turn in as much that it is relatively soft and prone to torn grain if tools are not very sharp and wood soaked in sealer, must be something to do with it being young but dead (Dutch Elm disease).
The Elm I remember that came from the local village coffin maker as scrap for mending the odd gate or pig pen was as hard as nails as far as using hand tools on a farm that had no electricity, remember having to drill holes for nails.
And it's certainly softer than good well seasoned slab turning wood that I've been fortunate to be presented with in the past.

Elm 170mm dia.

At http://www.elmhardwoods.co.uk/facts.htm it says:
There are three recognised species of elm in the UK
- Wych Elm (Ulmus glabra)
- Smooth-leaved Elm (Ulmus minor)
- English Elm (Ulmus procera)
The Wych Elm is the only species that occurs naturally in northern England and Scotland.

Duncan

A thousand plagues on that fellow Dalboy :twisted: a fine afternoon that has been since someone saw his post and decided they would be a good idea.

DSCN5410.JPG
DSCN5411.JPG

Finding said person re-grading the scrap boxes selecting an ominous amount into "These bits should be big enough" does not bode well for freedom to do ones own thing.

Attachments

• DSCN5410.JPG
    DSCN5410.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,064
  • DSCN5411.JPG
    DSCN5411.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,064
Delivery arrived, installed ready for despatch. :wink:
nests.jpg

Attachments

• nests.jpg
    nests.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,172
phil.p":29ok44th said:
I found this, if anyone is nerd enough :D (I am :D )
file:///C:/..................../Elm%20ID-guide.pdf
Thanks for the link to your hard drive phil :D
Unfortunately as that document says exact species is hard to determine even with Mature trees, (other than wych elm) most of what we see is young sucker growth which can vary, although I'm pretty certain from the rounded leaf form the stuff I had from local hedge row was English Elm.

Dalboy":3hojqha7 said:
.....Look great by the way
Thanks Derek, a little on the bigger side of the range than most I suspect but went with existing jaw sizes on chuck and convenient Forstner bits to hollow out to speed things up on the batch production.
These had to be 'Au Natural' (no colouring) for the particular recipient these are intended for.

Surprising how quickly you can turn something like this up if not constrained by 'matching' and make some simple sizing guides.

Mind you the instructions from on high that some will be needed with far fancier well proportioned finials and quality finishing before an October delivery sounds a bit ominous on the time taken front.

I also use a forstner bit mine is 1" which I find an ideal size then once all the main bodies are turned and hollowed I remount them on my 1" pin jaws which fit nice and snug. So in 2 operations the bottoms are completed in batches.

Dalboy":gviu84qc said:
I also use a forstner bit mine is 1" which I find an ideal size then once all the main bodies are turned and hollowed I remount them on my 1" pin jaws which fit nice and snug. So in 2 operations the bottoms are completed in batches.
OK similar size then.

I drill body blanks off the lathe (bore and entry hole) (square blanks) and mount on 1" pin jaws to turn outer and size top collar. (to sizing ring)
Tops likewise shallow drilled off lathe and mounted on pin jaws to shape and drill hanging hole.

phil.p":mj0dc5p3 said:
CHJ":mj0dc5p3 said:
phil.p":mj0dc5p3 said:
file:///C:/.................../Elm%20ID-guide.pdf
Thanks for the link to your hard drive phil :D
As you've shown a link, I'll take it down if that's the case - computers are not my strong point.
No risk to your machine Phil, it did not give access to your machine, just showed your file structure.
That document was not easy to acquire from source and more or less impossible to link to.

phil.p":1chm9302 said:
file:///C:/..................../Elm%20ID-guide.pdf

Personally, I managed to get all your holiday photos, and I must say - SHAME ON YOU! That mankini was never going to fit!

;)

Finally managed some shed time, bit of a hassle as Eye still not completely healed so some weeks off getting any new spectacles to suit.

Best laid plans and all that:- loads of no brainer bits prepared for simple uncritical turning awaiting the shop return and what happens...

You get a request for some of those little cocktail stick dispensers if you have a moment.

Ash & Walnut.
DSCN5561.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5561.JPG
    DSCN5561.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 923
Currently that's a Yes Derek, mainly because I made a mandrel to aid the turning when I first did them and any change needs new mandrels.

Current design does have a couple of little steps that would be better dropped though and I've been mulling over changing assembly method to reduce time but suspect the alternate may not be all that different time wise, as always with this type of thing no way will folks pay the man hour component.

As soon as I can get a spare minute I'll knock up a couple of different holding mandrels for an alternate method and see if it works out easier if not exactly quicker.

Latest posts

Back