2016- The Year to reduce the woodpile.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is more like what we are use to seeing Chas. You seem to be having more luck than I am a vase through the side then a bowl same thing, I know we all do it but two in a row so have just put another on the lathe and rough turned the outside will now leave it until tomorrow and then get on with it

Sometimes walking away is the only thing for sanity, but I hate leaving anything on the lathe that has not been finished to size, the odd time it has happened I've been niggled by the distortion albeit not visible on the finished item, even fractional run out due to overnight movement grates when I see the rotating shadow.
It's not something that can be accommodated in the constructed stuff anyway during the assembly stages as they need to be sized in one session and so I discipline myself to allowing a start to finish time slot for each stage, hope to do a couple of more glue ups to joint and clamp if possible this afternoon.

CHJ":13rbjo95 said:
Sometimes walking away is the only thing for sanity, but I hate leaving anything on the lathe that has not been finished to size, the odd time it has happened I've been niggled by the distortion albeit not visible on the finished item, even fractional run out due to overnight movement grates when I see the rotating shadow.
It's not something that can be accommodated in the constructed stuff anyway during the assembly stages as they need to be sized in one session and so I discipline myself to allowing a start to finish time slot for each stage, hope to do a couple of more glue ups to joint and clamp if possible this afternoon.

I don't think it will matter in this case as I have only rough the outside so can re-turn it and then reverse and do the hollowing in one day. I agree about walking away but still annoying all the same at my stupidity for going through the side of two one after the other

Managed to get the mating faces trued up and glue-up done, might be a couple of days before they get spun up, need to sort something out for lids if they are going to be boxes and I have Eye hospital appointment 09.00 tomorrow.
glueup.jpg

Had to open up a sealed stash of Cascamite to do these, some trepidation as it's been in store over 12 months since I divided up a large container, relief, it's fine, at least the first small jar is, thought I would have been doing more glue ups in the year than actually materialised so it's hung on a bit.

Attachments

• glueup.jpg
    glueup.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,073
Yes Derek, even so called clear can show a contact line at times and I find a reasonable match to a darker wood stands less risk of standing out should there be any glue line, sometimes the odd open grain pocket clashes with an edge and accentuates the glue line.

If it's all light like Ash then Cascamite is usually fine as is.

Not enough spare time today to tackle one of the segmented 'boxes' so just finished off some offcuts that got stuck together with the surplus glue from their glue up.

Various woods, Oak, Ash, Walnut.
DSCN5618.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5618.JPG
    DSCN5618.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,003
Great tea lights love the barrel shaped ones. Managed to get some Cascamite yesterday so may be trying some segmented work soon or when I get the chance :roll:

Reasonably productive afternoon, managed to complete a few more glue-ups.
glueup2.jpg

Oh and of course there was those two boxes that wanted a cut and polish and a couple of lids sorting.

Ash & Walnut, 145mm dia.
DSCN5620.JPG
DSCN5621.JPG

DSCN5622.JPG
DSCN5624.JPG

Attachments

• glueup2.jpg
    glueup2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 944
  • DSCN5620.JPG
    DSCN5620.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 944
  • DSCN5621.JPG
    DSCN5621.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 944
  • DSCN5622.JPG
    DSCN5622.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 944
  • DSCN5624.JPG
    DSCN5624.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 944
Glad the stuff looks OK Gregg, not a great deal on innovation or change of form in my stuff these days, just repeats of the same themes, but it seems to hit the spot with some folks and keeps moving out, currently just building a few more simple pieces for the local Xmas fund raiser event.
Folks seem to keep coming back for little gifts this time of year, usually for a relative or friend that has passed comment about something they have seen during the last year.

I hear that some folks fill the little bowls and pots with goodies and dress them up in fancy gift wrap.

Don't know if I'm achieving the stock reduction that was the aim this year, spent a fare time today emptying one stash of bits only to put a percentage of smaller off-cut bits back in the bin.

CHJ":1c90pu20 said:
T'was on a Sunday Morning, the Bowlman came to call.

I thought that 'On Saturday and Sunday, no work is done at all' :D

The urn that you kindly gave my wife, takes pride of place at the front of the shelf. My poorer offerings lurk in the shadows behind.

I know my place. I look up to your urn :)

Robbo3":2btimul2 said:
I know my place. I look up to your urn :)
No need to give it that much respect, have a go at copying it, if not in every detail using it as a target to do your own variation can make things a lot easier, you'll be surprised, if you tackle the various bits one at a time and solve how you are going to hold them to turn and clamp during glue up etc. you'll soon develop your own methods.

Well this afternoon was supposed to be just finishing off half a dozen basic lids, just shows how wrong you can be, none looked right and all need some rework or replacement so only managed one item completed.
Not too happy with the attempt to stain this lid as a means of providing a bit of contrast, usual problem with side bleeding with the open grain but decided to live with it as I know it was all going to go sour if I touched it with tooling again, just one of those days.

Walnut & Oak, 105mm dia.
DSCN5628.JPG
DSCN5629.JPG
DSCN5630.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5628.JPG
    DSCN5628.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,035
  • DSCN5629.JPG
    DSCN5629.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • DSCN5630.JPG
    DSCN5630.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,035
Managed to get three more done before the afternoons sport on the box.

Walnut and Oak. 90m dia.
DSCN5637.JPG
DSCN5638.JPG

Walnut and Oak. 90m dia.
DSCN5633.JPG
DSCN5634.JPG

Walnut and Oak. 100m dia
DSCN5635.JPG
DSCN5636.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5633.JPG
    DSCN5633.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSCN5634.JPG
    DSCN5634.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSCN5635.JPG
    DSCN5635.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSCN5636.JPG
    DSCN5636.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSCN5637.JPG
    DSCN5637.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,004
  • DSCN5638.JPG
    DSCN5638.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,004
selectortone":21sye8vd said:
^I love that design, especially the one in your avatar. Do you have a tutorial/write-up for those?
There are several on the forum but a couple of WIP's can be found on my web site.
Here & Here

There is no definitive way to cut the segments and chuck mounting methods as long as you keep surfaces square to each other before cutting and glue up and of course angles must be accurate, (if not glue lines will accentuate errors).
What is shown are just my general methods of working, with emphasis on finished piece rather than fancy equipment or too much attention given to areas and finesse of finish where it gives no advantage to further machining.

A couple more out of the way,

Walnut & Oak 100mm dia.
DSCN5639.JPG
DSCN5640.JPG

Walnut & Oak 95mm dia.
DSCN5641.JPG
DSCN5642.JPG

Back to the shed, need to have a sort out in the store for some bits of Oak this afternoon and see if I can find a home for two more lids that have turned up.

Attachments

• DSCN5639.JPG
    DSCN5639.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 957
  • DSCN5640.JPG
    DSCN5640.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 957
  • DSCN5641.JPG
    DSCN5641.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 957
  • DSCN5642.JPG
    DSCN5642.JPG