QS planes, how do you like them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
This has probally be a thread before but anyways.
QS planes?
Who owns these and what do you think?
I have the LA BP and love it. I can't remember where I got it know but it's the better one, great finish and just what I ordered. Very happy.

Never used a bench plane tho?
Anyone out there used one as well as other premium planes, how do they compair?

For me I rate clifton top, then LN, record and so on.

Let me know what you think thanks. I'm looking for a 4.5 at some stage and was thinking clifton but then I like the bedrock pattern so, it's either a stanley bedrock? LN or QS, then again clifton have the bedrock frog ect.
Or an old one that's in good nick with an iron up grade?

A 4 is out the question as I don't like the size same with the 5
3,5.5 and 7 are what I use normally but a 4.5 will be a dedicated smoother for larger surfaces.
TT

Sadly no 1/2 sizes on the QS Toby. So far I'm really enjoying the #4 QS and reaching for it first over my vintage Records. Time will tell though

I have the 5 and the block plane from Workshop Heaven, I am very pleased with them but not much help to you as I have nothing to compare them to.

I have the LA block plane being delivered today before 12am and as it is for work it will be used quite a lot over the next few weeks.
I'm also hoping to get the rebate version, No62 and No7 at some point. Also possibly the shoulder plane when Mathew starts to stock them.
:)

Difficult to tell if it is truth or myth but many people insist that there are two levels of QS planes coming into the country. Ones that pass the quality control checks ( Matts Workshop Heaven ) and those that don't ( probably shouldn't mention who )

I bought a QS no. 6. Well-made but didn't really like the feel of it. At some point, it'll be for sale! Since replaced with an old Record, circa 1950, which is an absolute beaut.
Also, since my hand tool collection is an almost entirely 'made in Sheffield' affair, the QS also felt like a bit of an interloper: purely personal of course and I'd have kept the QS if I'd liked it a bit more.

Apart from aesthetics and 'feel' though, the QS is good, although it doesn't measure up to the Cliftons I have. Nor to older Records, though probably superior to the newer ones.

I have one L-N block plane: very good and I have little doubt that their other offerings must be superb, albeit expensive and a bit 'bling' perhaps.

Grahamshed":1wno5thv said:
Difficult to tell if it is truth or myth but many people insist that there are two levels of QS planes coming into the country. Ones that pass the quality control checks ( Matts Workshop Heaven ) and those that don't ( probably shouldn't mention who )

I've also heard this rumour, but to be safe ill buy off matt.
I'm also looking to get the rebate block to match with my LA block .

I was informed of their shoulder plane yesterday will be interesting to see how it compares to others.

When will clifton do a block plane that's what I want to know.

Everyone I've spoke to that owns a QS bench plane likes them is this because they own it or because it is generally a great tool, hmm.

A quick question. If I said I'll give you either a QS or a LN no4 plane what would you choose? You can't resell or anything just a simple question what would you pick?

TT

tobytools":2yenn66q said:
A quick question. If I said I'll give you either a QS or a LN no4 plane what would you choose? You can't resell or anything just a simple question what would you pick?

Apart from inverse snobbery, I don't see why anyone would choose the QS.

BugBear

To me at least that seems a strange comment to make. I can only speak for myself but I did't buy a QS because I look down my nose at others with higher priced tools. My motivation was a good quality tool at a price I could afford. I find it hard to believe that people who buy them are chiefly motivated by inverse snobbery? Perhaps some market research is in order?

I like new and expensive tools as much as the next guy but i agree with Haydon. If a tools affordable and does the job then there isn't a problem.
I have some nice gear but I wouldn't look down on those with cheaper gear as has been shown in various threads that cheaper tools came equally do a good job.

I wonder how many QS have been brought vs LN ect.

TT

The question was GIVE a QS or a LN what would you choose? Not what would you BUY!

As the offer is for a Freebie I think most would chose the LN? More expensive, better quality and performs well but the QS is probably better value?

Rod

Harbo":39kdctsx said:
The question was GIVE a QS or a LN what would you choose? Not what would you BUY!

As the offer is for a Freebie I think most would chose the LN? More expensive, better quality and performs well but the QS is probably better value?

Rod

That was the question asked, and the question I answered. Look like toby doesn't understand his own question!

BugBear

I don't think the question is rely relevant. The ford focus is an excellent car, much loved by many people, but if I offered you one of those or an Aston Martin which would you choose ?

Toby asked a few sensible questions, not just one. Perhaps we could help him?

1."QS?"
2. "Who owns these and what do you think?"
3."Anyone out there used one as well as other premium planes, how do they compair?"
4. "Let me know what you think thanks. I'm looking for a 4.5 at some stage and was thinking clifton but then I like the bedrock pattern so, it's either a stanley bedrock?"
5."LN or QS, then again clifton have the bedrock frog ect."
6."Or an old one that's in good nick with an iron up grade?"

My experience with the QS is limited right now but I'm initially pleased. I would be happy to share more after having used it for a few more months. Perhaps Toby could confirm if budget is a factor in the purchase?

Sorry, I'm trying to fell some trees aswell as be involved in the thread lol. I'll read more carefully next time bb.

If I was offered diffrent objects but diffrent values I wouldn't allways go for the one that costs the most.

TT

If you want to have a look at the shoulder plane. Google wood rivee shoulder plane. There are a few reviews on it now. ;)

iNewbie":1rrikaqy said:
tobytools":1rrikaqy said:
I wonder how many QS have been brought vs LN ect.

TT

Is that like an Aldi Baked Beans against a Heinz? What does it matter in the grand scheme...

I was just spit balling! Just I treating to see what on more benches.
TT

G S Haydon":2r1qzxna said:
Toby asked a few sensible questions, not just one. Perhaps we could help him?

1."QS?"
2. "Who owns these and what do you think?"
3."Anyone out there used one as well as other premium planes, how do they compair?"
4. "Let me know what you think thanks. I'm looking for a 4.5 at some stage and was thinking clifton but then I like the bedrock pattern so, it's either a stanley bedrock?"
5."LN or QS, then again clifton have the bedrock frog ect."
6."Or an old one that's in good nick with an iron up grade?"

My experience with the QS is limited right now but I'm initially pleased. I would be happy to share more after having used it for a few more months. Perhaps Toby could confirm if budget is a factor in the purchase?

Thanks Haydon,
This thread has digressed some what. Probally my own fault but hey.

Budget is allways a problem but I'm a good saver and only intend on buying one 4.5 so I can save and when I have the cash ect. I'm not in super need so I can do with out for a bit. It's just for when I step up my work to bigger projects

Thanks mate
TT

Back