HELP......what is my lathe about.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, i habe this lathe that i got for £5, i know its a model makers lathe (metal) but i thought some one whould be able to enlighten me as to age, value, purpose and any info thank for taking the time to read this any help is a help as im not lathe master, i only want think think to make chisel handles ect as its so small, ect ect. tobytools

also what bits am i missing if any, names of bit ect as im a noob, cheers

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,307
I'm not a lathe expert either but I know enough to spot a bargain!

For the price of a sandwich (or two, depending where you shop) you've got an old and probably solid small metalworking lathe. It would have originally been driven by a flat belt on one of the three flat pulleys, either from workshop shafting or maybe a treadle. Someone has ingeniously adapted it with the welded up frame so that you can mount the electric motor, use a v-belt to drive a selected pulley and then a flat belt onto the lathe. Result= lots of choice of speeds.

In metalworking the cutting tool is bolted onto a tool rest, which in your case can be made to move sideways automatically by the threaded rod. The speed of this traverse is controlled by swapping over the loose cogs, enabling you to cut threads. For woodworking you don't bolt the cutter down, you have a handle on it and hold it in your hand. You probably need to make a simple tool rest to do this.

The four jaw chuck is not ideal for woodwork but could be used ok to hold a small piece of wood for a tool handle, with the pointed tailstock moved in to help.

Lots of fun awaits you!

thanks guys, there is no makers mark any where on it, just a few random numbers on the gears. i know saw it at a carboot and asked if it was a lathe and thought ill see how much he want, when he said £5 i didnt want to haggle lol so payed and ran straight home was all in a box in bits had loads of fun putting it together, i know its simple to set up as i dont need the theading bit for what i want but how an i ment to set up the belts to it, i cant seem to get the bit i think that fits the motor to fit properly, where can i get a new one ect. thnaks tobytools

Can't give a name, but it looks very much like one of the clones of the earlier Myford metalworking lathes. Possibly ML2 or ML4 variants. AFAIK, the only one of those that was happy to put their name on them was Perfecto engineering, who were still in existence in the early 1980s, but are almost certainly gone now.
From the photos, it looks as if the last user rigged up a countershaft to provide speed reduction from the motor speed to more useful metal turning speeds. Usually these have a large pulley on the end, taking the drive from the motor, and then a three step pulley which corresponds to the three steps on the lathe mainshaft. If you are careful, you can arrange to pivot the countershaft so that it acts as a clutch - I used a sort of "overcentre" lever on a similar lathe some 40 years ago, and it was very useful.
Might be worth re-posting your original in the metalworking section where there are lots of knowledgeable folk.

Hmm it looks to me as if you have mounted the moter and it's frame to the wrong side of the lathe as the flat pulleys do not align.

dickm":2teym7iq said:
Can't give a name, but it looks very much like one of the clones of the earlier Myford metalworking lathes. Possibly ML2 or ML4 variants. AFAIK, the only one of those that was happy to put their name on them was Perfecto engineering, who were still in existence in the early 1980s, but are almost certainly gone now.
From the photos, it looks as if the last user rigged up a countershaft to provide speed reduction from the motor speed to more useful metal turning speeds. Usually these have a large pulley on the end, taking the drive from the motor, and then a three step pulley which corresponds to the three steps on the lathe mainshaft. If you are careful, you can arrange to pivot the countershaft so that it acts as a clutch - I used a sort of "overcentre" lever on a similar lathe some 40 years ago, and it was very useful.
Might be worth re-posting your original in the metalworking section where there are lots of knowledgeable folk.

thanks, you idea about posting on a metal forum is a good one, i shall do it later. i dont know whether to keep it or sell it im confused as i dout ill use it any time soon. then again its small and tucks away,
what is it work i know its hard to price but what would you pay and what wouldnt you?? every one give me a est, thanks

toby

Might be worth selling and buying a wood lathe with the proceeds, given the use you want. The guy who runslathes uk can be quite helpful about value

dannykaye":3ewzdmym said:
Might be worth selling and buying a wood lathe with the proceeds, given the use you want. The guy who runslathes uk can be quite helpful about value
thanks danny
how do i get hold or contact with him??

tobytools":3jxhfo38 said:

are you being serious?

if you clicked the link the info you require might just hit you in the face!

adidat":2tdtffn7 said:
tobytools":2tdtffn7 said:

are you being serious?

if you clicked the link the info you require might just hit you in the face!

calm down, new to this forum thing but there isnt a link and or i cant see it, where do i look? lol

adidat":2ohxwfyb said:
nev":2ohxwfyb said:
sorry, no idea. if you can find any names/ marks etc then have a look here http://www.lathes.co.uk/ , they seem to list everything

now thats a link thanks, i got what i need, its a ML1 or 2 myford, ill pin point it when im more awake, going to strip all the paint 2mz if im right there is myford under that nasty blue. if not then at least it ticks off a few boxes, ill keep you posted thanks

Back