What lathe to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello woodworkers

I've followed the UK Workshops for quite a while and finally put my hand in my pocket and joined.

I've been looking at new and used lathes for a while now and was getting towards buying a new Coronet Herald with extra bits, but now have been offered a WoodFast C1000 with a load of extras. I don't know the age of the C1000 but it has a blue motor.

I had a WoodFast 910 some years back but my work then took too much time, now I have more time to work from home I'm wanting to get back onto it.

I'm looking for any advice as to what direction I should take.

Kind of depends on a few things. The woodfast is twice the power (or the one I googled has) so thats a plus. It also looks a more solid machine.
How many extras and what condition is it in? The cost difference must surely have to be mulled over too. Have a good close look at both before making up your mind.
Regards
John

I have a Harrison graduate standard bed with 1.5 kw motor with variable speed remote controls in excellent condition in s7 if you have room for it

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and offers. I have decided to a bit more up-market and am considering the Coronet Regent - thoughts?
It's the one I've identified for when I upgrade (currently).

If you can get to a show, RP were offering it with the chuck and live centre currently offer online AND the outrigger for £2k at Newark the other day.

I was initially looking at the Herald but eventually I decided to get a Regent, no regrets at all. I just have the standard bed and sometimes I do find that my elbow hits the tailstock if I'm using a longer gouge. I don't have the shed space to add the bed extension.

I bought my lathe from Yandles, they were very helpful and a speedy delivery too.

I was initially looking at the Herald but eventually I decided to get a Regent, no regrets at all. I just have the standard bed and sometimes I do find that my elbow hits the tailstock if I'm using a longer gouge. I don't have the shed space to add the bed extension.

I bought my lathe from Yandles, they were very helpful and a speedy delivery too.
It's got a swivel head - why would you hit the tailstock? Just turn it a few degrees.

Just saw this on FB Vicmarc CL 300 with outboard and chucks for very reasonable price within limit you showing.

Latest posts

Back