XP Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gardenshed

Established Member
Reaction score
After an auto update from M Soft, I have been unable to click the links on my emails to open the web pages. I keep getting a message box "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer, please contact the system administrator". I've tried alsorts to solve this, it's driving me mad :D . I'm the only person that uses the computer so it has to be something to do the the recent update.

Any help to restore my sanity greatly appreciated.

Hi Mate

If you click START

Go to ALL PROGRAMS

Go to ACCESSORIES

Go to System tools

Go to System restore

Then go to Retore my omputer to a earlier time

enter a time before the MS update and that should get you dack to were you were before the update

Best to cancell automatic updated

Hope it helps

Allen

Try doing a System Restore (Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore) to a time prior to the update and see if that fixes the problem?

Brian

I know it has been said but do a system restore ,, i have had a similar problem in the past and after getting updates i could not use half my pc , make sure you turn off automatic updates ,, they are fixes for problems that you dont have :shock: so you dont need them :D

I haven't updated from Microsoft for months now and had no problems. When I used to update I used to get no end of problems with my system. I seem to have a good firewall from my service provider so use this and all seems fine.

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/whyuse.php

This is an excellent site and has been around a long time. I know several here use Firefox so you may want to give it a go. You choose what you want to install.
Your problem with your mail I would guess is a simple software setting that got changed. If you go into internet explorer options see if you can make internet explorer your default browser, assuming you do run another browser.

This option5 in this link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/com ... opten.mspx explains better

Alan

Since I got rid of Internet Explorer and Outlook I have had many fewer problems on my system. Use Mozilla products instead - they look and feel almost the same, there is a lot of user support, and they're free. I also agree with turning off automatic updates. My settings are 'notify me when they're available but don't install'. I then choose 'custom' install, which lets me pick the ones I want. NEVER install the malicious software removal tool!

I finally dumped Norton when my subscription ran out and have installed AVG anti-virus and anti-spyware and the Zone Alarm firewall. You wouldn't believe how much extra disk space I've gained (almost 400MB!) and the whole shebang runs faster, boots faster, closes down faster....

Second all that's been said above.

I also found that startup on my laptop was awfully slow and after investigation binned spysweeper from webroot. Now bootup is very swift.

Rob go into control panel from start/settings and pick the automatic update option and the rest should be clear.

Alan

Allan - have done that now, many thanks. Was looking at 'Start' menu etc and couldn't see anything, forgot to have a look in 'Control Panel' #-o - Rob

Many thanks for all the replies :).
I forgot to mention I had already tried the system restore function, but no joy.

Malcom R & Woody thanks for the useful links, I'll look at them tonight and see how I get on.

Thanks to all for the advice on turning off auto updates, I've now done that.

Thanks to all again :) :)

Many thanks for all the replies :).

Malcom R, thanks for the useful link, I checked the solution but no joy, but you were on the right lines.
Woody, thanks for the useful link I tried the option 5 and realised it's similar to Malcom R reply. So this time I copied the command line from the text and pasted it back and hey presto it works . So thanks to both of you :):):).

Somehow the command line must have got changed.

Thanks to all for the advice on turning off auto updates, I've now done that.

Thanks to all again :) :)

Latest posts

Back