Worm drive saws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caroleb

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to finish a bunk bed project today, made from old sound boards from an church organ builder (Mr R Shaftoe - a local legend I never had the fortune to meet, but I now own a load of his tools and materials, and my daughter sleeps on a bed made form a selection of mahogany, rosewood and oak from his workshop) and had to rip down some deal and other scrappish bits to make the slats for the bottom mattress to sit on. I needed them to be about 3" wide, so selected some appropriate timber form the pile, and put some through the bandsaw (352) to size. However, having just cleaned the workshop up the sawdust was driving me mad, so I pulled the 235mm Hitachi circ saw from the shelf. It struggled because the blade was totally inappropriate. So I pulled out the Hilti which would do it easily, but would have to do it in 2 passes as depth of cut is not enough. Didn't want to lug the TS75 out of its systainer so I gave the Kress a go. This one struggled with a 24t blade even though its depth of cut was just enough.
Ahah, thinks me. I have the Skil worm drive saw. Set the fence up, depth of cut set to max, transformer out and plugged in and away.
I don't know how many of you have a worrm-drive saw, or have had the fortune to try one. They are few and far between out here, but the yanks are mad for them. And there's a reason why. This saw has an oil tank, for lubrication. And it runs more like a truck motor than a brushed motor. Where the other saws, which incidentally are well maintained and in good order, ran OK at a mile an hour, the worm drive roared through. Jeez - I don't use this saw enough. 3" cut in oak? Like it cuts through 18mm MDF.
So, I gotta say folks, if you ever get a chance to get one you MUST try one. The difference is chalk and cheese. It is so nice to use a tool that cuts to its maximum depth of cut in any material without getting even close to its limits. It inspires confidence and allows you to achieve a perfect cut in one go, rather than 3 passes which can introduce problems other than time consumed.

Caz

Oh yes! I remember a thread about them not so long ago, just before Christmas maybe? I had the good fortune to try out a Milwaukee one and another USA brand one (can't remember which but it wasn't yellow). Absolutely amazing performance. When I have the money spare I may invest in the Milwaukee one.

MMUK
You will never regret it - they really are a different beast. Mine chewed up and spat out all comers yesterday. Plus when running it smells like a lawnmower! (Oil!!)

Hopefully my rant will persuade others to try them. Once they do I am sure they'll agree. Shame they can't get them so easy over here. Any ideas where stocks them in the UK?

CAz

Heard of them before, just never realised how good they were. Seems strange they're not that popular over here?

Seems to be a few Skils available on eBay, from the US, and prices don't seem too bad. Am I right to assume you can just change the plug and run them from a standard 110v transfer?

Cheers
Stu

Yep, just fit a yellow 110v plug and you're good to go. There'll be a slight performance drop as our system is 50Hz where USA is 60Hz. Won't be that noticeable though.

Think mine is a US Skil. It works superbly. I would not hesitate to buy another one, but doubt I will ever have to as mine, whilst old, is built like the proverbial.
I am not sure if I have ever recommended a tool before. I would recommend this without hesitation. Not for fine joinery or cabinet making, but for ripping lumber it really is unstoppable.

edit - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Foot-...430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3fa1108e

8) - wow! 14 inch!

MMUK":24z0anis said:
Yep, just fit a yellow 110v plug and you're good to go. There'll be a slight performance drop as our system is 50Hz where USA is 60Hz. Won't be that noticeable though.

Cool. Cheers :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MMUK":w1n0zhgl said:
Oh yes! I remember a thread about them not so long ago, just before Christmas maybe?

That was me... I recently bought a second hand Skil HD77 wormdrive as I don't get on with standard circular saws. I absolutely adore it!

It's built like a tank and will power through anything I can throw at it, despite the blade being a bit worn. If it was a 'sidewinder' I would have replaced the blade, but I don't feel a need to with the wormdrive.

It's so good I'm considering buying another, along with a selection of blades. The old one would then be used for dirty jobs like cutting masonry once if I could solve the dust extraction issue.

Buy one, you won't regret it!

Back