Workshop windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntoyawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just made some new windows for my workshop. They are made out of some sort of untreated soft wood (from a local orange DIY super shed), and are double glazed.

It's the first time I've done anything like this, and I'm not sure if I need to treat them with some sort of preservative before I paint them (to match the house windows). If I do, do I use preservative, then under coat then top coat? Or is there an all-in-one under coat preservative you can recommend?

Thanks,

John

One option is to use an exterior paint system such as Dulux Weathershield. The first step is a very liquid 'preservative primer', then undercoat, then gloss. I've used it on my back door and it has lasted quite well in full sun/wind/rain exposure. More info on the Dulux site here: http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/info/weathershield_exterior_preservative_primer_plus.jsp

There are many other options - Jacob has mentioned some linseed oil based paint which sounds very good - worth a search - Holkham it was called.

For another time, windows etc. will last ages longer if you soak the parts in preservative BEFORE assembly - they very nearly always rot in the joints. If you do this, dry them and prime then undercoat before fitting. If you then get caught out by the weather it doesn't matter, and you can then touch up any digs and undercoat again in situ at your leisure. I do this not because I'm a perfectionist but because I don't like work much - when I do it, it stays done.

Latest posts

Back