Workshop siting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdampney

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on building a workshop in the bottom of our garden, and have a few questions for those more knowledgable than me!

There are a few 5-6m tall leylandii (or similar) along the back fence. They do a good job of screening out the houses that are behind ours, and would provide good sound insulation (those houses are nearer to our fence than we are), but keeping them would mean the workshop would have to be much further forwards as they are around 2m in diameter.

• If I removed them and the roots (I'm aware it'd be a big, horrible job) to, say, 1 foot below ground level, would the remaining roots cause problems if a concrete slab went on top?
  • What hedging might provide some screening, which is tall but quite narrow (say, bamboo)?
  • For the 1m non-combustible building regs requirement, would a hedge between the fence and workshop change anything (other than making access more tricky)?

Thanks in advance! :)

Garden1.JPG

Garden2.JPG

Attachments

• Garden1.JPG
    Garden1.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 894
  • Garden2.JPG
    Garden2.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 894
Hi, my 2d's worth:

Removing the roots: depends a bit on the type of soil/subsoil - these trees are extremely thirsty and the ground will be much wetter once they've been removed - there may some "heave" as the soil expands. Getting the main roots out within a foot or two of the bole should be enough, ignoring the possibility of heave.

Laurel is a good and quick evergreen hedge which can take heavy pruning and is not too "invasive". Some bamboo species can spread very energetically and become a nuisance. You'll still need access behind the shed to maintain the hedge properly - I'd vote for no hedge between shed and fence, mainly re. maintenance.

I don't think a hedge would change anything at all re. building regs. IME cypress/leylandii are terrifying if they catch fire (bone dry inside the canopy and lots of sap/aromatic oils) - most hedges are almost as flammable.

Cheers, W2S

I have 12 of those things at the bottom of my garden, monsters at least 12m high. We back on to a park so no real problems but I really really need to trim them.
I cut away lower branches and just built my workshop in front of them, much easier and provides shelter. But whenever the stormy weather comes I'm a nervous wreck :)
For 2m I would leave the trees be.

Back