Workshop quotes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a number of quotes for my new workshop which is to built out of timber with a fibre cement roof - mainly from stable companies. To build a workshop 43' x 17' the average is around £13,000 - £14,000 (without concrete base - seperate quotes). I haven't got the time/skills to build myself but do those prices sound reasonable?- I want a decent quality one - insulated and boarded out - not just a large shed. Any advice appreciated.

Bearing in mind that I have no experience of either building or having built a workshop FWIW:

First look thought a bit expensive £13-14k. Then realised the size approx 731 sq ft - therefore at top price = £20 per sq ft.

So like BB (who has built his own!) would think that quite reasonable particularly if insulated and boarded out as your requirements. Think I would want to ask for the concrete base to be thrown in to seal the deal :)

Cheers :D
Tony

Sadly not - that's another £3,000 to £4,000 depending on whichbuilder - they won't do bases

Get a copy of the Farmers Weekly. You might find a better value solution from among their advertisers.

Ike

My 6m x 5 m (wooden from stables type companies) workshop was 9000€ to be built (with 4 double glazed windows and a double door entry, 5000€ for the roof (thick insulation and real roof tiles) 3000€ for the concrete floor (including a large crane type concrete pump to bring it over the house to the bottom of the garden). Then another 3000€ for the wiring and lighting and connection to the house (some 30 meters away) 16A and normal rings.

These are Dutch prices and 4 years old but will give you an idea.

The only thing I would change now is not have double glazed windows that open (I never open them) and have the roof overhang the front and back of the workshop like it overhangs the 2 sides.

I also ran 6 flexible electrical conduits to within the floor (so from the side wall to a place in the middle) before the concrete floor was pumped and poured, this means I can bring in power to my bench and table saw etc. I had to guess the output areas but I guessed pretty well and the electrician then put in floor boxes with flap lids. This was a real bonus and I'm so glad now I did it.

My workshop layout has changed often over the last 4 years and with those floor sockets and the whole host of sockets around the walls I have numerous possibilities. Maybe it's just me but I can only really design a layout for my workshop in a suck it and see mode. So flexibility is key

Good luck

Ahh, mine doesn't include electricity - that's another expense. Had another builder out tonight to quote for the base but looks as though £3,500 is the cheapest I can get that for.

why not have a base made out of sleepers??

or even a number of concrete or brick pillars

why have a complete slab, seems wasteful and expensive.
to stop the critters getting underneath you can always build a perimeter wall.

paul :wink:

Because I'm on the fens and the ground tends to move quite a bit. The company building it specify a concrete raft. The ground out here is all peat and the subsoil is weak so I think a concrete raft is the only way.

remember stephenson who built a large part of the liverpool to manchester railway over a marsh using faggots of wood that spread the load.

however i do understand your problem which i had not realised, and i guess the raft is the only solution. :?

paul :wink:

Sounds extortionate to me. :shock: But then, i use my garage and haven't bought or built a workshop - and never will at those prices

Had another one using a local joiner and buying all of the timber from a local Timber merchant (who will sell at trade due to amount I am ordering) which will bring the whole job in for about £11- £12,000 including the base which sounds a lot better to me.

Back