Workshop Essentials - Great stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyB

Established Member
Reaction score
Steve Maskery gets quite a few mentions on this site, and pops up with useful contributions. Here's another ...

I ordered the 3 bandsaw videos. The first confirmed my saw was pretty well tuned, but fettled it a bit more. Then I built the fine adjuster fence and the other jigs for cutting tenons. Not as prettily as Steve's, and scaled down to fit my smaller saw. Levers and the like from Steve arrived next-day ...
5405460274_de81eef10d.jpg

5404854591_c8a2198003.jpg

And here were the first two joints that came off the jig.
5404854347_4203f06e44.jpg

5404854155_2080dfe766.jpg

I'm impressed!

Great service too ...

Another vote for SM. I've used his router jig for large tenons recently and it worked a treat, perfect tenons. Wish I could say the same for the mortices that I cut by hand :)

regards

Brian

I can confirm that Steve makes great jigs, and friendly, informative DVDs that offer much more than you might expect. His latest Bandsaw Tenon Jig DVD is very good, especially for those of us who don't much care for cutting tenon cheeks on the tablesaw. We've reviewed it in the latest British Woodworking, and there's an article about making the jig too.

Cheers

Nick

You can never get enough of Steve's DVDs....

It seems that we are always praising them but I make no apologies for doing so...they are simply the best on the market.

I've yet to make the jigs but your pictures give me the incentive to do so. I am taking some time out soon from work and this would be just the project I need before the season starts in ernest!

Great post!

Jim

Hi Toby
Looks like you've done a great job there. I'm very glad you find the DVDs useful. Personally I think that the UBTJ is the best thing I've ever created, but then I am a bit biased :)
So what's the first thing you are going to make with it, then?
S

I was thinking of a small square table - "Shakerish" - wondering whether to include a drawer - and whether that means I should make a dovetail jig too first, or just do them by hand!

Any idea how many people actually make jigs from your videos? I've seen a number of comments in threads about "... must get around to ..." making things. I know a whole lot of books on my shelves are full of ideas, and sometimes plans and a lot of detail, but few of them have actually stimulated me to construct something real in the workshop beyond the simple things like bench hooks, winding sticks or a shooting boards. I wonder if the video+plans format changes things?

Well some people do as they send me pictures! :) But I'm also sure that many people have it in mind to make "one day". Jigs are, after all, a means to an end, so the real incentive to make them is when one has a particular project in mind.

I'm currently trying to summon enough enthusiasm to make another DVD. I have material for several, I think, but the excitement of the project is not what it was, and I don't want to get a reputation for just churning out "more of the same" (even if it is all fantastic! :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I'm currently also making a DVD for Bob my cameraman. He is a Caller for a Ceilidh band and he is very good at it. So we are making a "How to Call" DVD. We'll see.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":37a7bkht said:
I'm also sure that many people have it in mind to make "one day". Jigs are, after all, a means to an end, so the real incentive to make them is when one has a particular project in mind.

That describes my situation perfectly, I bought your dvds for the table saw jig, and also the first two in the series just to grab some good ideas. I have a tennoner attachment on my planer, so do most on that. I know there will be a time when I need to do tennons that are beyond the capibilty of my planer/tenonner hence the dvd, I'll get around to making the jig when the need arrises. They are very good dvds btw 8)

Latest posts

Back