Workbench Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Reaction score
Hello there , first post here so hi all :).

I'm getting into woodworking a bit (used to do a small bit but nothing big) and realised I need a bit of a larger and more sturdy workbench. I've decided I'm going to put together my own and follow this design roughly : (cant post links so just search 'A Cheap And Sturdy Workbench For About $20'. I'm going to alter the dimensions a bit and possibly add in an extra beam under the top for some extra support. The part I'm looking for advice on is the top itself. I'm going to be mounting a vice on the top and wasn't sure if the single sheet of OSB would be enough to hold it down securely. Any tips on what sort of thickness/material the top will need to be to keep it down and also how to secure the vice itself? Thanks for any tips :D !

Hi Sam and welcome.

The bench is it this one?
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/work ... w20xl.html

First off i would say mdf would be a better material for the top. Depending on what the intended use is? You need something flat and smooth. Something that osb isn't.

Have a search of the forum, there have been quite a few threads on this topic in the last month or so. So they should help you out.

carlb40":2eh5ofnt said:
First off I would say mdf would be a better material for the top. Depending on what the intended use is? You need something flat and smooth. Something that osb isn't.

Yep, have to agree OSB ain't flat or smooth, far better to use MDF I've had a sheet on my bench for more than ten years, I thought it might need changing but hasn't suffered in any way, apart from the odd hole where I've drilled through :oops: :lol: :!:

Yeh thats the page :). I've got a spare sheet of 3mm thick hardboard here , would that be useful If something was joined under it ? What sort of total thickness should I be looking at if I'm going to mount a vice on the top?

Sam, that depends on the vice and what you'll be using it for. A big old Record vice and chiseling out mortices in oak by hand, that'll need 2" as an absolute minimum. A Zyliss vice and mainly working with power tools, then 3/4" will get you up and running.

I agree about an old fire door- very heavy, and absorbs the blows as it has a dense chipboard core.
One bit of unasked-for advice- I see from the design that there is little to prevent racking ( sideways movement when planing). The traditional method is to use a wide board, say 9", under the top, screwed to the legs top and bottom, with a cutout for the vice. Alternatively, a diagonal brace under the bench behind the legs, as a triangle resists deformation, or large wooden brackets like knees on boats. Don't neglect it- it will drive you up the wall!. One of the biggest problems with workbenches is that it can be hard to clamp work to the top in order to use power tools, and so I would overhang the top as far round the bench as possible (which is a problem if you use the front board method of bracing as above).

there seems to be a bit of a competition on websites to who can produce a bench for the most ridiculously low price. This one could have been far far better if the budget was stretched to $50 instead of $20 and would still hae been a cheap bench.

Vice that I'm currently looking at is this one : (forgot about links again , its called 'Stanley-183067-MaxSteel-Heavy-Duty-5-inch' on amazon UK. Agree about making a few alterations to the design , I didn't actually choose that design because of the cheapness but because of the ease of doing it without many tools that I don't have right now!

This is one of the latest bench threads. If you do a search first and do some reading/research first it will help.

workbench-advice-t68948.html

Most if not all benches can be made with basic hand tools ie saw, hammer, chisels etc :)

Ah yes , sorry , I thought I mentioned this in the first post but seems I forgot to put it in :oops:. One of the main reasons I am getting back into woodworking is because recently I've been crafting my own cricket bats :). Although I aim to re-start doing other woodwork projects soon , this is what the primary use of the bench will be at the start. From a bit of experience , and looking at how other professionals do it , a bench top mounted vice with soft jaws fitted seems to be the most convenient set up for this as it allows you to get as much access to the wood as possible when shaping it.

The old fire door suggestion does seem like a very good idea for this :idea: !

So does that kind of change my question completely :oops: . Usually the vice will grip the bat quite high up and then a plank or something will be attached to the bench lower down that sticks out and supports the lower part of the bat. Tools that would most commonly being used on it would be a drawknife and plane most likely!

Wouldn't a shave horse be more suitable for workholding an awkward shape like a cricket bat ?

A-new-Shave-Horse-375x300.jpg

Here's a few pictures of how its normally done : http://www.laverwood.co.nz/batmaking.php (go under the photos tab and scroll down for the pictures when its actually being shaped , the 'Shaping the Bow and Sweetspot' photo probably shows it best)

It just makes the bat a lot more accessible than it would be on a shave horse so you don't need to move it about to get into certain areas.

So , this thread has gone slightly of course :D. Basically , what I'm looking for advice on now is the following :

Suggestions for a suitable vice
The minimum thickness of the bench top
The material to use for it (mdf is looking like the best option right now from your suggestions :))

Thanks for any tips you guys can give on this :D!

After looking at your link, i guess the mechanics vice will be your best option.

How big will your bench be? A sheet of mdf cut into 2 pieces will make a bench top 36mm thick x 610mm deep x up to 2440mm long ?

Could make the bench 1220mm wide and use the other piece for a bottom shelf I guess? Haven't currently got a circular saw to cuto 3 the mdf into two , I can get one , but any suggestions on how I could do this accurately without one :D? Doesn't matter that much really as if I don't get one know , I'll end up getting one later so might as well get it whiles its necessary. So 36mm thick would hold the vice down securely?

No circular saw - no problem
I'm not a great fan of B&Q but if you buy a sheet of MDF there you can get them to cut it to any size you want for free.
Fits in the car that way too.

Latest posts

Back