Work-holding on a Viceless Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for a 90 degree vice. something that will hold a largish piece of wood at 90 degrees to if I just put it in the recorcd vice.
Dogs wont work becuaes the objects are irregular sizes and lengths, but almost always with two parallel sides.
Any ideas?

Dont have any sash cramps. all mine are new quick squeeze type.
Surfed for the zyliss, looks possible, but found one that said new models are chinesium again, and do not respond well to tightening.
My usual problem, buying an old one on ebay UK theres a three week wait for it

I have a cheap engineers vice that will do small items when clamped vertically in the 52 1/2, but i'm currently working on a fatter shape and cant hold it for sanding.
I need to use my lateral thinking on this one.

sunnybob":2iz6gf9m said:
I'm looking for a 90 degree vice. something that will hold a largish piece of wood at 90 degrees to if I just put it in the recorcd vice.

Nothing in the video of any use, then?

sunnybob":1ss9i9tb said:
Dont have any sash cramps. all mine are new quick squeeze type.

I'm not sure I see the problem?

Couple of appropriately sized packing pieces from the off-cut bin,
Vice-Option-01.jpg

Then pop in the workpiece,
Vice-Option-02.jpg

All else fails you could use hot melt glue or double sided tape to stick it either to your bench top or to a bigger board which in turn gets cramped down.

Attachments

• Vice-Option-01.jpg
    Vice-Option-01.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Vice-Option-02.jpg
    Vice-Option-02.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 248
sunnybob":1pe6v5v7 said:
Any ideas?
Depending on your clamps, not the type but exactly what shape they are, you can sometimes clamp something and then clamp the clamp down to the bench surface and have it be quite secure. Alternatively you can clamp a piece of wood across the bench, or diagonally on a corner, and then clamp the workpiece sideways to it.

Custard, that almost works.
But think of that piece of wood standing up rather than laying down and being 6" wide in the clamp but a foot high. The offending item is just too high to be held steady by the low clamp jaws. It even moves in the 52 1/2 unless I pinch it tight.

And I dont want to make too many wedge pieces because its being moved around as each piece is sanded.
I cant use an end of bench vice because that is tight to the garage door.

Some thought needs to be applied.

Okay, so you need to get the cramping pressure closer to where the action is.

No problems (provided you sensibly designed your bench with a slot or lift out tool trays!)

Vice-Option-3.jpg

Failing that you could just lower it into the jaws of a B&D Workmate!

Attachments

• Vice-Option-3.jpg
    Vice-Option-3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 218
sunnybob":3bqcdoqp said:
Dogs wont work becuaes the objects are irregular sizes and lengths, but almost always with two parallel sides.
Any ideas?
Don't know if this would help but my Record vice is flush with the apron, which is about 12" deep. Hence a workpiece held vertically would bear against the full width of the apron and be pretty stable. Could add a G clamp on the apron if more support needed.
As a rule not having a deep apron is a big mistake. It's a very functional addition to a bench - effectively one large face to the vice as well as bracing the structure - hence the standard trad bench design below, which tends to get ignored by followers of fashion and the trendy bench design books, leading to a whole generation of amateur woodworkers struggling with inadequate benches! :roll:

bench1.jpg

Custard... sensible...... me?
youre 'avin a larf aintcha.

My bench is tight to the wall and goes as far as it can to left and right. This bench was built when I was doing metal and motorcycles, not wood. Flat bench too.

Jacob, I have virtually that set up, but its hard to describe this particular problem. I am making a teddy bear bandsaw box. Picture a teddy bear sitting up with legs out to the front. its quite large, almost a foot tall and 7" wide and 5" deep.
The front and back faces are square and parallel. so I can clamp it into the 52 1/2 easily.
BUT... when its clamped, the grain is going side to side. So to sand with the grain I am at one side leant right over the bench trying to sand around lots and lots of curved surfaces which is very hard work.
it would be much easier for me if I could clamp it with the grain going away from me, but the side profile makes that impossible.

normal service is now resumed after 3 days eating and drinking and laying in the hotel pool, so I shall start working on a solution tomorrow, but we are in a heat wave, even by our standards. Temp. on the back porch this afternoon is 38c. That is normally august weather, june is usually down to 30 /33c.
Working in the workshop when its over 35 gets a bit tiring, no more than an hour at a time before I have to go for a drink.
life is hard, but I shall overcome.

this is a particular problem with this piece, which I havent come across on any of my other boxes so I'm not going to get all fancy and build a jig or use 42 clamps.
i need full access to the entire 260 degree edge. I need to keep moving as i sand each section, so hot gl;uing would just mean I would need to take it off and move it frequently.

I shall spend some time on it tomorrow morning.

Sounds like you need a nice chair, put the box in your lap, hold it with one hand and body and start sanding with the other. Under a nice shade tree in the garden would be an enjoyable place to do the work. If you began when you started the thread you'd be admiring it now. :wink:

youre close, but I dont have any shade tree. The olive trees around here have no leaves to give shade.

Of course I made it worse by making the thing out of rock hard rosewood. twice the hours to sand than walnut or beech.

quickly sorted this morning.
2 bits of mdf, one quick clamp, and its not only the right way round, its also a foot higher than the workbench so no more bending for me.

clamp small.jpg

Attachments

• clamp small.jpg
    clamp small.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 42
Back