Woodworking joinery programmes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tool-me-up

Established Member
Reaction score
any recommendations? I dont like TV as its called - its pants, never anything good on.
I mainly watch programmes online, watch a lot of mark evans stuff 4x4 is born, a bike is born etc bit of wheeler dealers, the salvager stuff like that.
Dont mind challenge tommy walsh or the ultimate workshop series he did.
As for decent woodwork programmes ive yet to see one!

The only ones ive ever seen are new yankee workshop and to be honest I hate them!

Ive nothing against the guy and unless some one else build his stuff off-set he's very talented and a brilliant craftsman - i just cant stand the constant drone when hes talking, plus he talks in old english me being the younger side of 30 have no idea what 1/8" is without a ruler or tape.
Sort of reminds me of bob ross with power tools :D :D

So lads ( and ladies?) any recommendations?

Random Orbital Bob":1jebtnfg said:
I think if you don't like Norm you should probably see a shrink :)
HAHA dont gt me wrong i can watch it - its just a bit long-winded and boring. Too much yakking and not enough cutting! he just does one step talks ten mins then the peice is magically 10 steps ahead with more yakking. I like to see things get built not talked about lol.

maybe just a rubbish episode?
cant even remember what he was making lol.

Dont know what 1/8 inch is ?
Cant believe that, you will be telling me you don't know what half a crown is next.
( sort of the same ) :)

Jeez, that makes me feel old.

It's hard to believe until you ask when they were born.

Attachments

• Half Crown.jpg
    Half Crown.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 277
:norm: Not sure there there are too many english programs so you may struggle a bit. :norm: It seems the last few years favourite topic again is food.

So if you want wood stuff then it will be over to good ole youtube. Again though a lot are american so will be in imperial. :norm:

But i would suggest the wood whisperer
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWoodWhisperer/videos

And this guy goes into so detail
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHqY4hrEdIAHj7d9P5M6PXA

Ask woodman covers more than woodwork
http://www.youtube.com/user/askwoodman/videos

It would then be a case of following suggestions till you find some you like. :)

You should try to be more flexible in your measuring - use both sides of the rule or tape. That way you can have measurements like 740mm & 9/16".

BTW didn't I see an Imperial rule being used in that Scandinavian blog, about the Vasa bench hook?

G

tool-me-up":kk5q305w said:

:shock:

I wouldn't want him on any of my jobs having seen some of the dung he's churned out on Ground Force, etc.

When I moved from the furniture trade in to the building industry, I found a lot of younger people were making mistakes with mixing imperial and metric measurements, so I converted them to using just metric only and it seems to have worked.

MMUK":3leoswmd said:
tool-me-up":3leoswmd said:

:shock:

I wouldn't want him on any of my jobs having seen some of the dung he's churned out on Ground Force, etc.
Same here. I think Stevie wonder would be a better option. :mrgreen:

Preston":31sdx8bo said:
When I moved from the furniture trade in to the building industry, I found a lot of younger people were making mistakes with mixing imperial and metric measurements, so I converted them to using just metric only and it seems to have worked.
Ahhh
So it's your fault. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Actually I am reasonably happy on either side of the rule when working. When planning, or picturing stuff in my head, I tend to use imperial then convert to metric when actually making.

It made me smile when I saw the 1/8" and metric comment. Just getting back into woodwork after too many years, I have to refer to my tape rule to see what the metric is and my old brainwaves are still in imperial.

It's amazing that the older generation are still a bit like that unless they are actually working in metric. Now my son, has difficulty with imperial and he's now over 40.

My old ten bob's worth, ( or five florin's if you prefer), of steel ruler helps me with imperial and metric measurements, but I recently inherited my late Uncle's small tool set and he had only metric tapes. He died many years ago but worked a lot with engineering.

Alex

I've watched most of the TV versions of woodworking programs available over the last 15 years or so we get in UK and to be honest they are all a bit much the same, Rico (The Salvager) is more down to earth but he doesn't go into that much detail.

The Great British Woodshop (David Free - a kiwi from the sounds of him!) is not much different to Norm's programs: go to nice house look at original item, make a copy with a few bits of technical here and there, but hardly comprehensive.

Woodworks with Anton Fitzpatrick is a bit more most peoples level as he has only limited tools, rather than a full on tooled up workshop, and makes more "normal" furniture like a patio bench table with integral bench, a nice coffee table with simple veneering, a basic workbench and other simpler projects.

Occasionally woodworking with Tommy Mac - (a fellow bostonian as Norm) turns up on Quest channel; who's a bit more enthusiastic, and does some slightly more advanced items like a serving tray with compound mitres, a triangular display box, and a nice patio divider with simple construction, he also does a couple of technical programs like detail carving and applying finish do's and don'ts.

John's workshop does make a few items, primarily as part of his (then) ongoing house renovation and such, but not a great deal of technical "how to" woodwork going on. He does make a nice commissioned walnut desk which doesn't look too complicated though.

Alexam":2gp7peq5 said:
It made me smile when I saw the 1/8" and metric comment. Just getting back into woodwork after too many years, I have to refer to my tape rule to see what the metric is and my old brainwaves are still in imperial.

It's amazing that the older generation are still a bit like that unless they are actually working in metric. Now my son, has difficulty with imperial and he's now over 40.

My old ten bob's worth, ( or five florin's if you prefer), of steel ruler helps me with imperial and metric measurements, but I recently inherited my late Uncle's small tool set and he had only metric tapes. He died many years ago but worked a lot with engineering.

Alex

I'm only in my early 30's and I much prefer English measurements. I hate metric! I always remember getting into trouble in woodworking class at school (early-mid 90's) for using imperial measurements on everything. ******* Hitlers! :evil: Even the teacher struggled with imperial and he was in his 50's then so will have grown up with imperial :roll: When I did my O Level woodwork (called GCSE by then) I really struggled with metric. I'm not so bad now and can invariably switch between the two but I much prefer imperial.

I guess we have taken this thread somewhat off topic so apologies for that, but to late now. :)
The biggest problem with imperial is that it couldn't make up its mind what it was measuring in. Part of the ruler was in 16ths, part in 32nds, I think part of it was even in 10ths. but whatever you were measuring always had the wrong divisions on the bit you were using......

Or maybe I am just going senile.

I use whatever the measurement lands on and so do a few guys i worked with. Just like the other day. I made a saw vice and 2 parts for cutting were in metric, then one was imperial as it land on that. Rather than mess about with say 77mm - especially as i need a new tape measure as not all the markings are clear now. :lol:

My local builders merchant sells there sawn timber in imperial sizes but metric lengths = 4''x2'' x 4.8m.I am happy to work in either but when working in imperial i tend not too bother too much with 1/32 its shy or full.Metric usually all mm dont do cm.Problems only happen when working on site with other tradesmen ,it seems that people do their own thing and it can take a bit of time to get in sink.

Cheers Bern. :D

Back