WoodRiver 93 Shoulder Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatherton_wood

Established Member
Reaction score
For years I have hoped that Veritas, Lie Neilsen or even Clifton would come out with a 1" wide shoulder plane - a remake of the very long gone Record 072 - I even suggested to Tom himself that Lie Neilsen made one as I find it such a nice size. This week though I noticed that we have one - the WoodRiver 93 - its 1" wide! - if it had been named "72" I would have realised. Nothing much has been said about this - has anybody else noticed and indeed tried one? Just need a 1-1/2" one now!

The press on the us forums has suggested that they are fine, as in properly made.

Just for information, the Clifton 3110 is 1 3/32" wide (28mm) and 6 1/16" (153mm) long with the long nose-piece in place. It also has the advantage of adjustable mouth width using the shims supplied between main body and nose-piece. A very fair modern alternative to a Record 072, and with the advantages of bullnose and chisel capability as well.

That is true - I was thinking of the design based on the Preston 1368 series which Record continued.

The Stanley #93 or #92 are what you want. The 92 is about 5.5 inches long and the 93 is an inch longer. I'd go for the #93 myself. They come apart so you have a chisel plane that will work right up to a perpendicular without the nose getting in the way. A great little plane with lots of uses.

I was thinking of a modern replacement for the long out of production Record 072 - nobody else has made one until the Woodriver #93

Hatherton_wood":1efm8tig said:
I was thinking of a modern replacement for the long out of production Record 072 - nobody else has made one until the Woodriver #93

We have been carrying them for the past year, you are more than welcome to come and try out my demo WoodRiver 93 if you are in the area. It's a great sized plane for larger tenon and housing work.

http://www.robcosman.com/tools_planes-woodriver.php

Cheers Peter

Infill for that width. There's probably plenty over there.

D_W":1pxuazip said:
Infill for that width. There's probably plenty over there.

Maybe but there is something really nice about the Preston/Record design with its adjuster and with Record's adjustable mouth.

Certainly. If it's machined dead square on both sides, that's a benefit. Infill shoulders I have gotten have been iffy at that (square maybe on one side, but not the other. Nobody would notice if they were even just close, but on my favorite, the right side is square, the left side...not remotely close to it..I use the right, of course).

Sawyer":a1jre2gg said:
The Veritas large shoulder plane has a 1 1/4" wide blade.

Yes based on the Record 073 - I'd just like to see all the widths available again - the 074 was the widest available

Back