wood type suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf you've just reminded me of an occasion when I liberated a suitable stick blank from a Blackthorn ... not for the faint hearted :lol:

Blackthorn is in flower at the moment, now is the best time to identify likely candidates... difficult to identify the difference between Blackthorn/Hawthorne, the later flowers around May...

Ask Alf to go down the Lizard for you. The blackthorn down there grows as trees. I am sure that she'd be happy to get a few logs for you :lol:

Come to think of it I have to go down there over Easter so I'll have a look what's growing. What about Fuschia, there's plenty of that down there as well with big enough branches for small stuff.

What the heck, let's make a list of what you can't turn, it'd probably be shorter.
Pete[/i]

Bodrighy":396ntsah said:
Ask Alf to go down the Lizard for you. The blackthorn down there grows as trees. I am sure that she'd be happy to get a few logs for you :lol:
What, I have to literally shed blood for this forum now...? :shock: :lol:

Hi Mrs S
Nice ash box.
For new wood to use I'd suggest sticking to wood from the UK for now as it's usually cheaper than exotics (and doesn't have as many air miles ;-) ) Making a mistake on cheaper wood doesn't annoy quite as much as it does on that piece of 'special' wood that you've saved for a certain project!

When I first learnt at night school the teacher said we should start on pine as it's soft and difficult to get a good finish on straight from the tool. This was an interesting idea and he was right! Pine is dirt cheap and you don't care when you turn the complete blank away to nothing practicing spindle cuts.

Sycamore is good as it usually has straight grain that cuts very well and the colour is often quite bland. With bland wood you can concentrate on getting the turning right and perfecting technique rather than being excited about wild colour and markings.

If you want a more interesting wood then yew is wonderful and there always seem to be a good supply where I shop. It's more challenging as it can have wild grain, splits, bark inclusions, but that's what makes it interesting to turn

Duncan

cheers people, we went to 'the shop' today (before I read todays posts)
it is smashing tiny place called Pete Camus woodturning in the village of Gowall near Selby, they are very small but very helpful and friendly!! ANYWAY, wish I'd read the posts before I went because there was some boxwood and I didn't pick it up!
I got a little bit pink Ivory, Padauk, purpel heart, beech to try out. I think my dad has hawtorn in his garden ... may need to check out his hedge!
I have a few hours to spare now, so I'm off to try some. :D

I've just noticed that you're in Yorkshire. I'd recommend a trip to John Boddys as they have an excellent stock of wood from both the UK and abroad.
Snainton's is also worth a trip if it's not too far for you as they have a decent amount of ready cut blanks form the UK and they're very reasonably priced.

Duncan

I'll try get to have a look there, the only places we have been is pete camus and ask tools in batley, they have wood as well as equipment

Alf":15x5pivr said:
What, I have to literally shed blood for this forum now...? :shock: :lol:

Last year Alf, the sloes were the size of damsons. Think of all the Sloe Gin you could make to celebrate your 10,000th post :whistle:

Pete

Hah, no, you're not getting me with that one. My mum's told me all about the hassle involved in making sloe gin - much easier just to drink the gin and stay at home. [-( :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Probably the best stocked place for everything for Turners close to you, is Turners Retreat just South of Doncaster off the A1(M). Blanks of every type and colour and tools and accessories likewise! Useful demonstrations every month:

Turners Retreat

Latest posts

Back