Wood type advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Mckie

Reaction score
Hello all,
New (ish) to this woodworking lark so still learning. Which wood would be the best for constructing two replica swords? Specifically, thin, light sabre/scimitars? I would like them to be reasonably robust but they are for display as a gift and not for any kind of actual use. I will try to make them look as genuine as possible.
Based in the UK so foreign woods may be harder to acquire but I'm open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Is this for the blades? I think you will find it difficult to find one that looks metallic!

There are a range of stains that may make things more silvery, but you would have to test on whatever timber you decided to use as the effect will vary according to wood type.

My choice would probably be Holly. It is very pale with a slightly grey tinge. It is also plain without too much figure and very close grained so can take detail nicely.

I think it sounds quite a difficult project. How are you hoping to do the fuller? Look forward to seeing pictures!

There are a couple of wooden samurai sword builds on YouTube, they may help to see what others used.

Ash is often used for long tool handles as it is tough. I’ve also made a Halloween scythe with the blade from oak, which has proved more durable than expected.

With a sword keeping the blade straight is probably a good part of the problem, picking a piece with clear grain and splitting the length such that the grain is consistent along it could be helpful. Look at how ace handles are made from a split wood ‘billet’.

Is this for the blades? I think you will find it difficult to find one that looks metallic!

There are a range of stains that may make things more silvery, but you would have to test on whatever timber you decided to use as the effect will vary according to wood type.

My choice would probably be Holly. It is very pale with a slightly grey tinge. It is also plain without too much figure and very close grained so can take detail nicely.

I think it sounds quite a difficult project. How are you hoping to do the fuller? Look forward to seeing pictures!
Not sure about the fuller to be honest. Might try with a router

Latest posts

Back