Wood Thicknessing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewWood80

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that knows of somewhere/someone that can cut decent thin sheets of wood, i have read on here that it is difficult to obtain thin sheets of hardwood for scrolling in the uk so thought id ask if there is a place where i could get a 25mm thick ness halved and then planed.

Thanks all

It is such a simple thing to do but so difficult to get it done. You mat try a local joinery shop and ask if they will do it for you. Getting planed hardwood has always been a problem. Hobbies do a small selection of thin hardwood. Best I can offer I'm afraid.

cheers chippygeoff, i will certainly be asking around, ive been told about engineered veneers also but not sure how these will look, if they end up looking like plywood then i think it will ruin the job.

Hi Newwood80

I think the problem is that if you plane wood "thin" and leave it it will warp and twist and be unsellable, unless it's a very well seasoned piece of wood in which case better keep it large as possible for a nice piece of furniture etc.
On saying that I happen to have loads of Yew that I planked up must be 15+ years ago it's only small pieces and only 10 or 12mm thick if it could be use to you I could put it through a drum sander to propare it for you but it does have quite a lot of splits ect being Yew so onlyany good for small items.
PM me if you can (I think you need another post before you will be able.)

This kind of small between, and 15mm and 25mm thick 40 > 50 pieces in all
P4160176 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• P4160176 (640x480).jpg
    P4160176 (640x480).jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 690
Back