wood splitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently finished a 3 seater bench nothing fancy a simple bolt together project,but i was well chuffed as it was my first ever & i got the angles & drilling right lol,i gave it a good sanding down and finished it with cuprinol garden timbercare,then disaster struck the slats have begun to split,Why?

The wood is 4x2 'scant' what ever scant is,i've done a couple of archies with scant & had no probs,my bubble as been truely burst.

Short for "Scantling" maybe? Not much help, maybe.

Where has the wood split? For outdoor furniture, a few splits may not be the end of the world.

Tony S

I presume you mean that the wood is developing shakes, splits in the end grain running maybe 25mm or more along the boards. This is entirely typical of wood that is changing its moisture content for whatever reason. maybe it was wetter when you bought it, and now it is out in the sunshine warming up and drying?

Probably, as long as the structure is not affected, the best thing to do would be to ignore it. (It wasn't really a disaster, was it?)

John

boomer":v4jw8mrx said:
then disaster struck the slats have begun to split,Why?

Don't worry, Boomer, in a posh shop they would call that "Rustic garden furniture" and charge twice as much :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back