wood river planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi lads i as at newark oodwork and powertool show on saturday and had the good fortune to bump into master peter sefton who was demonstrating the line of woodriver planes .
well i wasvery impresed with the build quality and the very good fit and finnish of the tools during the day i had tried them all verita lie neilson and others .
well the good news is woodriver can hold it head up there with the top end planes this is only my personl view as a woodworker of forty plus years so you get quality and value in the same tool highly recomended.
also would like to thank peter for the 4 dvd's of his which i will review and ot my finding as soon as i have seen them also a big thankyou to my new friend from the forum dave who did me a couple of good turns.
the help and advise and the support on here is 1st class many many thanks.
lurcher

They are well made planes. Initially copied some LN design elements and they had to make some effort to backtrack and make sure they were copying bedrock elements instead of what LN had changed, but copying is what the Chinese do, and with someone on the ground there, they can do it well.

They are a bit heavy for my taste, though. I don't know if they're intentionally heavier than other planes, but it's not much of a virtue to have that much weight on a hot day or any long day of work.

Just looked up their weights again as I don't have that kind of detail memory. Over 6 pounds for a 4 1/2 and 9 1/2 pounds for a #7. I'd call that beginner's weight. It feels good when you're a beginner, but not so much when you're not and you start using the planes a lot (though admittedly, most people don't use planes in a way that you'd describe as "a lot").

I bought a Quangsheng No.4 from Workshop Heaven a few months ago (lost my old Stanley No.4) an initially I liked it a lot. However, after using it for some time I found the added weight to be a downside so I bought another Stanley from the 40's. Much better.

lurcher":lo96umg3 said:
hi lads i as at newark oodwork and powertool show on saturday and had the good fortune to bump into master peter sefton who was demonstrating the line of woodriver planes .
well i wasvery impresed with the build quality and the very good fit and finnish of the tools during the day i had tried them all verita lie neilson and others .
well the good news is woodriver can hold it head up there with the top end planes this is only my personl view as a woodworker of forty plus years so you get quality and value in the same tool highly recomended.
also would like to thank peter for the 4 dvd's of his which i will review and ot my finding as soon as i have seen them also a big thankyou to my new friend from the forum dave who did me a couple of good turns.
the help and advise and the support on here is 1st class many many thanks.
lurcher

Good to meet you lurcher, I hope you had a good show!

Cheers Peter

Latest posts

Back