Wood recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colarris

Established Member
Reaction score
As Im just starting out I've been kind of taught to use pine due to its cheapness and softness. Trouble is I've found it far too soft for things like dovetailing etc and I just wondered if someone could tell me of a wood that is as cheap as pine but a little tougher. I guess Im talking about hardwood now.

Ah, the mythical species of wood that is easy to work AND cheap! Good luck!

But for a more serious answer, especially when you are just practising, do what you can to get hold of offcuts (from joinery firms and timber merchants) or chucked out old furniture (skips, charity shops, freecycle). Also try your local wood recycling scheme.

I'd second the recommendation for tulipwood - also sold as poplar.

But the question about pine prompts the question: what kind of pine? If it's the stuff sold as 'pine' in the sheds like B&Q it usually isn't pine but spruce or fir and is of famously-low quality. Proper pines - typically sold as redwood (scots or scandinavian pine) - or southern yellow pine are much better (although a bit more expensive).

Ash is good, although I'd question the word 'really' attached to 'cheap' :). Beech and oak aren't too bad, pricewise. The Americans, who are spoilt rotten when it comes to wood, have cherry and walnut - great woods, especially for handtools - but they're frightfully expensive over here. Historically, mahogany was the top choice for beauty, finish and workability - so much so that there's virtually none left now.

The trouble with the softer woods like pine, spruce and cedar is that you need really sharp tools to work them. They're a little easier to plane but difficult to chisel without crushing or spelching. Hardwoods like ash, oak and beech are often the reverse - easier to chisel to a fine finish but often the devil to work with handplanes.

All of which takes us back to poplar - not the prettiest of woods (although I quite like it myself) but a good all-round compromise when you're getting started.

Pete W":265f9roy said:
I'd second the recommendation for tulipwood - also sold as poplar.

All of which takes us back to poplar - not the prettiest of woods (although I quite like it myself) but a good all-round compromise when you're getting started.

i think it looks great it has colours ranging from purple to black, it finishes nicely and is great to paint.

which part of london are you from??

adidat

Thanks.
I have no idea what kind of pine it is a Im using, I just asked for pine at my local wood shop and took what i was given.

I live in the South Tottenham area. :)

Well I'm still quite new to this and i had the same question myself a short while back, to which i came to the conclusion that tulip was the cheapest usable wood from my supplier. I like it we recently made a nice little cabinet from it and when oiled looks really nice with a real mix of patterns and colours. its really easy to work, with sharp blades you can plane against the grain and still get a nice finish although i recommend planing in the correct direction. I've also been using ash which is the next up the price list from my supplier although still nearly 2x tulip and find it has nice grain but is much harder and sometimes get a little tear out when planing. I'd get yourself some nice tulip and give it a go.

Try reclamation yards, and even charity shops and freecycle. Recently my dad bought an 8ft long oak table for £20 made from wide boards 20mm thick. Unfortunately he insists on actually using it as a table and won`t let me near it with my circular saw.
I think it was from salvation army.
I often consider hanging out for afew hours at my local tip stopping people throwing out the decent timber I see in the wood skip. Not sure they would allow that though.

Visited my local woodshop today and asked what their cheapest hardwood was, he said mahogany. Does that sound right? I enquired about Tulip wood and they didnt have any but said thay could get some in.

it will be an african hardwood like sapeale or meranti. joinery shops use it for outside work and sills and door steps. i think its nice and can sometimes have some amazing grain patterns. it is some what underrated in furniture use.

adidat

Latest posts

Back