Wood Lathe Advice - Beginner's first buy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJHolmes

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read quite a few posts on lathe's people have and what other people have bought but their budget has been bigger than what mine is. Axminster have a starter package for just under £500 here http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...odturning-starter-package-package-deal-717925 is this a good buy? I would like to do bowl turning primarily, I'm aware the centre height is 175mm on the one linked, but a 350mm bowl is still pretty big for me to practice. Is that lathe even suited to bowl turning? Or should I scrap a package and buy separate items? :?

£500 is probably my budget. I'm not too fussed on new or 2nd hand. However I have no clue what to look for in 2nd hand and if I'm buying a chocolate teapot or something rock solid. At least if I buy new I would know it would work, have some sort of guarantee and some after sales service should I need it. I don't need to buy right now as it'll be a birthday pressie with the family chipping in some funds towards it, which isn't till September but I would like to start hunting now, as let's face it, it's exciting getting a new piece for the workshop!

Many thanks! :D

David,

I can't speak for the quality of that package, but Axi stuff is pretty well-regarded. However;

Take the advice of the numerous people I spoke to before I took the plunge - get yoiurself down to a local club first and watch, listen, ask as many questions as you want and have a 'play' on the club lathes, (or members' lathes - there will always be a willing offerer).

You will save yourself loads in the long run, honestly.

PS, I'm in Stourbridge, so if you want to come here and have a play, (And don't mind wading through the heaps of treasured wood, (or 'junk' in wife-speak), you'll be very welcome.

Greg

Personally I picked up a an old used Tyme cub which was a great old thing which came with a few tools ect, after 6 months I knew I wanted to continue I traded up for a used record CL4. If you can wait and buy used you'll most likely find something local with a few tools ect. You'll also want a 6" grinder, face shield and a copy of Kieth Rowleys book.

You say your budget is only £500, mine was lower when I started but with the bandsaw and everything else I bought i'm probably up to 2k now xD it gets expensive :)

Try and find a club through http://www.awgb.co.uk/ and go and have a look / join up. My local has lathes and tools so you don't need to buy anything to have a go :)

Also just a note, I thought I wanted to turn mainly bowls but tbh there not my favourite thing to turn at all and barely do any now. Small boxes and hollow forms much more interesting :)

Excellent points above. +1 for Rowley. Get some experience BEFORE buying anything at all - you might have a complete change of opinion - it'll save you loads of money whatever. You might be in the right place at the right time to pick up something really good - people trade up and down all the time. If you buy second hand wisely you'll be able to sell it on when the time comes for pretty much what you paid - it makes spending more easier to justify (either to yourself or swmbo :D ). Don't be surprised to find that a chuck, live and dead centres, a decent grinder, a jig and your tools will cost more than the lathe.

phil.p":2tk0f79q said:
Excellent points above. +1 for Rowley. Get some experience BEFORE buying anything at all - you might have a complete change of opinion - it'll save you loads of money whatever. You might be in the right place at the right time to pick up something really good - people trade up and down all the time. If you buy second hand wisely you'll be able to sell it on when the time comes for pretty much what you paid - it makes spending more easier to justify (either to yourself or swmbo :D ). Don't be surprised to find that a chuck, live and dead centres, a decent grinder, a jig and your tools will cost more than the lathe.

I will be putting my Record CL4 Vari speed lathe up for sale on here with a few extras , long hole boring bar ,Bowl turning attachment, and quite a lot of chisels.
As soon as I have the Legacy Ornamental turning lathe up and running, in another week or two, it has to go as I need the room, I would like you to see it and choose what chisels you would like.
Regards
Timber

David,
I have had an Axminster M900 (very similar model) for well over 10 years And have been really pleased with it. The only problem I had was the tool rest / banjo extension broke when I was doing some very heavy outboard turning and in all honesty that was probably my fault.
I'm in Sutton Coldfield if you want to pop over and have a look.

I had an Axminster Lathe similar to the one linked. They have been selling them for many years. Mine was ok although the tail stock didn't line up with the headstock very well. I had to sell it on though as it took up too much space. I've now bought a smaller model which is great for my intended use.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I would love to come and see some of your lathes, I work odd hours 5 days out of the 7 so it might be hard to match diaries but I'm willing to work something out (The joys of driving buses!). Makes getting to clubs hard unfortunately. I feel it gives a bad impression when you manage to turn up and then can't get back for 4 months! I will get in touch with those who offered and see if we can match diaries :)

Is this the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rowleys-Wo...&qid=1466194941&sr=8-2&keywords=keith+rowleys ?

Back