Wood identity please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I found a dirty slab of wood tucked away int he shed and had a bit of time so cut a piece off to see what it was. It turns out to be a rather lovely wood and the nearest I can think of is bubinga but where on earth it came from I haven't a clue. Anyway. This is what it looks like turned. It's a dark red with some black flecks. It is dense, hard and heavy. It cuts well apart from the end grain which rips fairly easily. but apart from that comes up with a lovely gloss off the bevel. Anyone identify it properly?

Thanks
Pete

Hi Pete,

Too dark for Bubinga, that's more of a dusky red. Cold be some sort of Rosewood but can't be more specific than that!!

Looks lovely stuff!

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for your responses . I rarely use exotics so am pretty much ignorant about them. The colour in the images is pretty much accurate so if bubinga is usually lighter then you are probably right with that Richard. See if anyone else has any definite knowledge

Pete

Paul.J":37gy0y7e said:
I aint gotta clue what the timber is Pete,but you've made a very nice job of turning it :D

Yes it's rather worrying Paul, not so much the quality of the turning, that's a given with some of the stuff he tackles, but the form. Must be the club influence :? :p

On the identity front I've just had a close look at a Bubinga piece I did in 2005 and the grain structure and that tell tale streaking as a result of the endgrain pulling looks exactly the same. The piece is not dissimilar in colour to yours now Pete, in fact 80% of it I would say is the same having lost its overriding bright red cast. It has darkened considerably over the years, perhaps the colour is a function of time as much as light exposure.

Attachments

• bubinga1.jpg
    bubinga1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 667
  • bubinga2.jpg
    bubinga2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 667
Looking at the grain pattern, it's not coarse enough, or dark enough to be wenge.
Also looking at the the photo's again, particularly the profile view, there is a chatoyance that I dont think you tend to get in rosewoods.
To be honest, Im not sure anjan has much chatoyance either, so Im still going for amazaque (or one of it's variant names), or thinking about the colour, Tasmanian Blackwood?
http://www.creative-woodturning.com/sto ... ucts_id=23 is an example, but a bit lighter than yours?

For a picture of anjan, use http://www.lincolnshirewoodcraft.co.uk/ and go to 'products' then 'timber selection', then 'anjan'. This is the best image I have found.

Adam

I have a bit left in the raw. I'll take a photo of that see if that helps.

I do do more conventional things Chas LOL. A case of what wood I have available. It's nice to do something ordinary now and then and not end up with numb fingers from all the bouncing on the holes and bits of bark LOL.

Pete

It is definitely not purple heart. I have used that before and spent an hour getting the dusty out of my hair LOL. I can see the likeness though

Pete

Back