Wood ID help please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanB

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given this log last year - I've just cut it in half and delighted to find some lovely spalting. But I don't know what it is! The freshly cut wood is pale and close grained like birch, but the bark isn't at all like birch. My Google searching of the bark suggests alder as the closest match, but the wood seems far too pale for alder. It's 32cm diameter. Any ideas?

PXL_20220520_141204461.jpg
PXL_20220520_141220631.jpg

Looks like Sycamore with some nice spalting.
Forgive me if I'm wrong as I have been living in Australia for the last 12 years

very sycamoreish but the bark is all wrong. Think it's actually acer platanoides norway maple, so a close relative hence similar timber.

Thanks - Norway maple seems a good call. It's not as heavy/dense as I'd expect regular maple to be, does that fit with Norway maple?

No idea just did some googling, www.wood-database.com is a great resource to look at the properties of the various options. Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) norway maple (acer platanoides) Field Maple (Acer campestre) Hard maple (Acer saccharum)

Poplar? or tulip wood if you're being posh, bark looks right, straight grain no real figuring and light weight.

Last edited:
Sycamore? or as it used to be called in Scotland Plain probably because it is mostly plain looking hence good cooking things.

Back