Wood for outdoor project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first post here, I hope it won't be the last.

I have a question about what wood to use for a project. I am planing to build an adirondack chair which will be left outside. Norm built his out of cypress but I cannot find anywhere to buy this wood.

Has anyone got any ideas about either where to source cypress or suggest an alternative that would be suitable.

Thanks in advance for any help

regards

Brian

The cypress that Norm uses comes from the southern part of the US. You might look into teak, ipe, or one of the similar south Asian hardwoods.

Welcome Brian

Iroko or Cedar are also good for outdoors

Pecker":1yt3kyaw said:
Teak will possibly be a tad expensive [I'll say!], iroko might well be a better option.

Just make sure you can get it in smallish quantities - I can't here.
There's at least one supplier of iroko in Liverpool, plus a couple of importers on the Docks. You're at the wrong end of Wales, Mark..... True redwood (N. American sequoia not the Scandinavian stuff) is also very good but mainly available in decking or cladding sizes - and as expensive as iroko

Scrit

I understand/have heard that yew is pretty durable, although have to say that I've never used any. Presumably air-dried would be better for an outdoor project than kiln dried material (or at least kiln drying would be unnecessary)

Cheers,

Dod

Oak is also durable for outdoor use but Iroko is probably cheaper. If you use Iroko beware of the dust, some people are allergic to it.

John

Johnboy":1ik02wtq said:
If you use Iroko beware of the dust, some people are allergic to it.
John

You are not kidding!!!! :shock: :shock:

Bl**dy stuff isn't even allowed in my workshop any more!!!!!

Regards

Taffy

(or should that be Itchy and Scratchy???)

radicalwood":3062tp9o said:
Hi Brian,

Welcome. Cedar gets my vote light and easy to work.

Neil

Did you find cedar very soft? I used it on a small lean-to greenhouse and found that I just had to look at it for a dent or ding to appear! Smells lovely though.

Andy

Well thanks for the comments.

I think Cedar is going to be the wood of choice, This chair is quite chunky when finished and weight will be an issue.

How come cypress isn't available in this country?

Hi

I too want to build an adirondack chair like the one Norm built, however cypress seems extremely difficult to get hold of.

Obviously there are other choices, but why is cypress so difficult to get here in the UK? Also, can anyone advise where its possible to get some if I decided to build it from cypress?...

Thanks

Stephen

SketchUp Guru":1b2fyl7v said:
The cypress that Norm uses comes from the southern part of the US. You might look into teak, ipe, or one of the similar south Asian hardwoods.
I suggest forget ipe!

Well I finished up making my Adirondack chair from whatever softwood I had knocking about and it has been outside in all weathers for the past eight years.

It is starting to rot in some places mainly round the joints but in other places as well so next year (after retirement) I hope to get round to making another from a more durable wood.

regards

Brian

Back