Wolf 'Locomotive' BS3 Belt Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you remove/replace the brushes?

I'd say they need to 'bed in' a bit, that should reduce the sparking.

It's a lovely looking tool, I wouldn't want to use it overhead all day though. :-D

The only thing I can find that's close is the Skil 449

Finally found a belt the right size 610mmx75mm.

Found an old wolf electric tools catalog I forgot I had think its 1959, least thats the date on one of the price lists with it (the one that matches its contents). This sander is listed there!

1959? Wolf Electric Tools Catalogue (dragged) by Rhyolith, on Flickr
Wolf 1959 Price List by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Now I am not sure if I am being caught out by a sale per dozen thing again, but if those prices are for just one sander (which I think they are) then they cost £699.98 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/curr ... ts.asp#mid) in todays money! :shock: Thats using the conversion rate for 1960. Eat your heart out festool with your poxy £500 belt sander :mrgreen:

Brilliant, I wonder what sort of state a 60 year old Festool sander would be in? :-D

Having a minor issue, when I push down (even lightly) the belt slowly slides off the wheels. The only way to prevent it is to either manage the downforce carefully (which is ok, but bit hardwork) or adjust it so the belt is pushing right up against the inside of the sander while not under load... neither is ideal.

I have not used belt sanders that much, but have had similar issues with most of the ones i have used. Is this kinda thing part of the course with these machines?

Assuming its meant to be a little better than it is I have taken the Adjuster apart. It works by pushing a flap of metal attached to the front wheel up and down against two ball bearings, the top bearing is up against the adjuster screw and the bottom is atop a spring.

see it laid out here:
R0000037 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

My thinking is that the spring is depressing when a certain load is reach causing the wheel to move and the belt to slide; that would make sense considering the direction the belt is moving. However the spring looks fine to me and I cannot see how it was ever any different... maybe just a design flaw?

There is also this little spring that I cannot figure out, it came out the first time I took the thing apart, but from where exactly I am not sure... I have tried it in several places and it does not seem to make sense anywhere. Could it have something to do with it?

its the one at the mid left.
R0000037 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

I don't know too much about the tracking mechanism,but I do know that Wolf were very high quality tools.Have you checked the bearings for play?I would guess that wear in the system is at the root of the problem.

I'm not familiar with that particular sander, but my Metabo's tracking adjustment works like this:

Knob fully in

780029ab8a4ba62be377b38c54467246.jpg

Knob fully out

dfa067e1cc47be0c245781958d350cce.jpg

The spring's only job is provide resistance to the knob so it feels good in the hand.

P.s by any chance does your Wolf catalogue mention their RS10 range of circular saws? I have one and it's quite unusual in that the blade's situated on the left of the saw.

worn thumbs":3m0p9h8x said:
I don't know too much about the tracking mechanism,but I do know that Wolf were very high quality tools.Have you checked the bearings for play?I would guess that wear in the system is at the root of the problem.
I checked that. There was a little in the front roller, but that was because I hadn't set I up properly; theres no play now. Still have to issue.

Thanks Mark. The Wolf's adjuster moves in the vertical oppose to horizontal like yours, it seems to "twist" the front roller slightly and affects the belt's sitting that way.

Think I'll try putting a small bit of rod in the spring hole under the adjuster so its under more compression and see if that helps.

Here's another catalogue appearance for you - Gardiner of Bristol, Hand and Power Tools, 1959. Same copy, same high price. One thing that is clear from the catalogue is that your sander was firmly positioned in the "industrial" tools section, alongside bench and pedestal grinders, and a "heavy duty" drill costing £44 and weighing 28½lb.
For the ordinary gentleman who wanted to put up some shelves at the weekend, there was the "Cubmaster" drill with a host of attachments - a lightweight in both senses at 3lb and £6 19s 6d.

wolf_sander.jpg

Attachments

• wolf_sander.jpg
    wolf_sander.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 86
I actaully think mine is a later varient, probably 1960s. The 1950s ones seem to have “Wolf” cast into the rear handle.

Think I found the problem with the adjustment, the rear roller was moving side to side because I had not set the nut right... this actually turned out to be quite hard and it took 3 attempts with thread lock to get it to stay (so far!) in the right place; was very easy to got a little too tight or loose.

Anyway now thats sorted and a new cable has been installed, I have put the dust bag back on and declared it my main belt sander :mrgreen: Its the oldest power tool thats acts a go to functional choice.

Wolf BS3 Belt Sander by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Have given it a few hours of proper use now, enough for a short review on its performance (soon as there are few reviews of these about):

Good Things
Quiet (for a belt sander)
Nearly no vibration
No downforce required, he weight does the work for you
Powerful dust suction

Bad Things
Its not overly powerful (any meaningful downforce over its own weight feels too much for it)
Heavy!... Really Heavy! Even the thought of using this upside down is a joke

As a final review note I cannot overstate the superb build quality, I have some festool stuff (drills) and they feel cheap next to this.

hi, yes the instructions would very much be of interest! As far as I can tell you have only posted the first page of it.

I’d remove or otherwise mask that email address if I were you R. You don’t want to get spammed to oblivion I’m sure!

Latest posts

Back