WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
In as much as it isn't fixed up and there are one or two things I want to change. The base is a piece of burr oak that is too soft i n plavces to turn into anything, the form on the left is a root that has been cleaned and burnished. The pot is approx. 3" tall and dia. and the 'flower' is artifical cherry. I want to try some slightly larger polished stones and get some better cherry for it otherwise I am (at the moment) happy with the overall look of it. Any critiques, ideas etc welcome

Pete

ikebana pot and root..jpg

Attachments

• ikebana pot and root..jpg
    ikebana pot and root..jpg
    101 KB · Views: 712
Still branching out I see Pete, (sorry could not resist)

I like it, don't know how you are going to determine which combination is best or should that be 'an improvement' (get some better cherry) etc.
Personally I look at something and think that's worth an image, and that's the case with your piece, don't know if I could even consider any changes for the better.

Pete, only my thoughts but,,,,,,, I reckon the cherry twig stem is too straight for the composition and slightly too large, I can see the theory of it framing the log with it but if it was turned through 90deg then the whole composition would be flowing to the right.

Andy

Hi

Have to agree with Andy that the flower branch is to large and stark - I'm also not sure about the cut upper surface to the left of the base I think it would look better if the whole upper surface were natural.

Regards Mick

Personally, I really like it the way it is, I think its really original.

The only thing I would change (and its only very very minor) is that the cherry branch isn't coming out of the centre of the pot. But as I said really like it!

Cheers
John

I like it also and the only thing that to me looks like it needs moving is the cherry branch, I would place it not in the pot but in the base timber on the right of the pot the over hanging branch would then be framing the whole piece, well that's my thought's anyway.
Well done on producing such piece from not a lot. =D> =D>

Pete , I have looked at this about a dozen times today and for the life of me I can't find anything I could suggest you change . To me the pieces fit and I would leave it be .You have great vision ,long may it serve you .Thanks for showing .

Definitely a nice composition which only needs a bit of tweaking along the lines suggested. I just love to see people trying something a little bit different. Excellent.

Ian

Thank you fort eh comments and suggestions. Things like this I make up then leave for a while going back to it to tweak it. Often I find that I end up with the original concept. I tried it with shorter branches and they look squat and don't have the same appeal at least to me. I see what is meant by being too straight however. The branch is just dropped into the pot at the moment so is leaning against the inside, I need to sort out a way of fixing it so it is more central as suggested.

Pete

Hi Pete

very 'Ikebana' as I know you know :D. Just leave it on the side and after a week walking past it and musing over the composition you will come to a suitable conclusion.

This form of work is steeped in Zen as you know and is a discipline in itself. I like where you are going with this.

mark sanger":2khd3j8c said:
Hi Pete

very 'Ikebana' as I know you know :D. Just leave it on the side and after a week walking past it and musing over the composition you will come to a suitable conclusion.

This form of work is steeped in Zen as you know and is a discipline in itself. I like where you are going with this.

Thank you Mark. Yes Ikebana was my original idea when I started putting pieces together. I am doing these in between the basic commissions as a personal thing and hopefully will try and start getting some into galleries. Whilst I am sure that there are others doing similar things I haven't seen many. I love getting the natural wood and the worked pieces together as a contrast highlighting the beauty in both. As you know I am as hooked as you on the simplicity of the eastern cultures though not as knowledgeable and find it fascinating trying to achieve something approaching their work. Simplicity is hard though LOL

Pete

Bodrighy":14yhntb8 said:
As you know I am as hooked as you on the simplicity of the eastern cultures though not as knowledgeable and find it fascinating trying to achieve something approaching their work. Simplicity is hard though LOL

Pete

Pete

Thanks for the Kudos but I just have a passion like you and fail many times along the way. I also have a substantial fire wood pile. :D

I have found that using woodturning as part of an overall composition has helped me stretch the way I work, think, how to exploit the materials I use and above all it has gotten me interested in many other disciplines which I believe help to support what we do.

All the best with it and hope to see more soon.

Back