Wine rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
My next job isn't until next week so I thought I would fill in with a long overdue job of a wine rack in AWO. I first cut out the sections I needed and glued an 'L' shape together for the legs/sides.

I cut arches into the top apron pieces. I also cut a double arch into the front apron as there will be a decorative panel in the centre of them.

After glueing up the sides I routed a stopped detail around the edges and had a dry fit by the end of the day.

This will be an in between job so will see what I get done tomorrow. :wink:

There's a great thread (or two..) on the Cellartracker forum showing good quality racks, if you need any more inspiration.

I'd recommend CT for tracking wine, just in case you haven't come across it before.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of it before so will have a browse. I got the plinth made today and the top and made a start on the racks.

As you can see I had to empty a bottle to test the fit. :lol:

mailee":1maozhu0 said:
Unfortunately you have to do that for each and every bottle holding position in the rack. It is the only way to be sure they will fit.

Grahamshed":1bgrpif7 said:
mailee":1bgrpif7 said:
Unfortunately you have to do that for each and every bottle holding position in the rack. It is the only way to be sure they will fit.
OH GOOD! :oops: oops I mean oh dear! :lol:

Other wise it won't be as think as you straight it is and you might finger your chop off.

Nah, seriously, just in case any children are viewing this forum... It's not wise to drink and operate machinery... you might spill it when you fire the router up ha ha

While I am psyching myself up for the carving I made good progress on the racks today. I got the unit glued up and the plinth attached along with the top. :D

I had a bit of time on my hands today so started on the carving. After laying out the design on the wood I routed out the outline. After all of them were done I started with the carving chisels to shape them.

The first one is taking some work and I still have two more to do! :shock:

This is going to be a long job, I can tell. :roll:

Wow that carving is going to be amazing. Can I be cheeky and ask you how you price up a job like that as it must take you quite a long time to do that carving and probably takes longer than you think?? Part of it is that i am struggling to know how to price up a complicated job with marquetry and inlays etc. Please ignore the question if you prefer not to answer
Best regards
Mark

This job is for a friend who has helped me a lot in the past so I won't be making much money out of it. For jobs like this I couldn't really work on a time rate. Luckily I don't normally do this sort of work but it is one of those jobs you just wish you hadn't started. :roll: This job was on condition I did it between other jobs as and when time allowed. AWO is a pain to carve! Mind you this is my first attempt at carving so I am no expert. :oops:

I know it isn't perfect but considering it is my first attempt it's not bad. Anyway I got a bit more carving done today and had a look at it on the rack.

I think it would have been easier going if I had chosen a better wood for carving as this AWO is a pain to carve. I also have to keep sharpening the chisels as they lose their edge quickly.

Nice one Alan, however.......find some one with a CNC next time, labour on this sort of thing is a killer.

Latest posts

Back