Windows Explorer and firewall playing up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks...

For some time now the Microsoft firewall has been taking an age to load, and I don't seem able to do anything until the program warns me the firewall isn't up and running'. I click the 'balloon' and then it takes about two minutes for this to right itself.

Now, when I right click on a folder, to explore, or to get the usual menu of options, my PC freezes, and I have to restart. My anti-virus says all clear, as does my anti-malware. Any ideas?

As a result though, I am thinking of upgrading from XP to Windows 7.
Does anyone know if the disc upgrade is a simple operation, or do I have to access the floppy-drive during set-up to install certain files? The reason I need to know this that ever since I bought a new motherboard, the floppy drive is not recognised, and is thus not readable. I have a USB floppy that works for normal use, but isn't available during Windows set-up.

I would buy a new PC to be frank, but if it's going to be like my laptop; cluttered up with sludge like Toshiba, or equivalent programs. In this case, I'd rather build another machine from 'virgin' components.

Thanks in Anticipation.

:D

A lot depends upon what sort of software you use, what sort of legacy data you need to access, and your level of technical confidence, but you could try reducung your reliance on the microsoft world. I do not want to start an operating system flame thread, but I have found Linux a lot more controllable than Microsoft platforms.

I have even installed XP in a virtual machine running on linux, and it seems very happy in there. It even installed and runs Silverlight in IE so we can watch streamed media. With a virtual machine you can copy your installation image (assuming it is a real one and not an emasculated copy provided by the original hardware provider) to an image file and install from that file on your hard drive. You can even take 'snapshots' of your virtual machine to restore it to any former state.

Just a thought

Windows 7 will load from your CD/DVD drive.
But it will completely over-right your existing stuff loaded on the hard disc.

I would suggest if your machine hardware is of the XP era then you may not get all the benefits of the Win7 operating system.

If you want a system without all the propriety software junk you may wish to look at what is on offer from the likes of Scan Computers and their 3XS systems.
No connection other than as a satisfied customer but having assembled dozens of machines over the years using them as a component supplier I know I could not have put a machine together any cheaper of the same spec. and certainly not had such a hassle free experience with configuring it as my latest purchase. (and they come with proper full system software hard copy on CD, not just a disk image you have to recover yourself)

Not sure I'm ready for their current 'modern world' site interface though, only just got to grips with win8.

You don't need a floppy drive for any Windows OS from 2000 onwards. All you need to install windows 7 on your machine is a DVD rom, about 20Gb of HDD space and at least 2Gb RAM for the 32 bit OS. You can install 32 bit on a single core machine but if you want 64 bit you need at least a twin core processor and 4GB RAM.

CHJ":2xjvtyj4 said:

No it won't unless you select the "new installation" option. If you select the "upgrade" option, it keeps all user added files.

CHJ":3lp0c4xc said:
Windows 7 will load from your CD/DVD drive.

I would suggest if your machine hardware is of the XP era then you may not get all the benefits of the Win7 operating system.

If you want a system without all the propriety software junk you may wish to look at what is on offer from the likes of Scan Computers and their 3XS systems.
No connection other than as a satisfied customer but having assembled dozens of machines over the years using them as a component supplier I know I could not have put a machine together any cheaper of the same spec. and certainly not had such a hassle free experience with configuring it as my latest purchase. (and they come with proper full system software hard copy on CD, not just a disk image you have to recover yourself)

Not sure I'm ready for their current 'modern world' site interface though, only just got to grips with win8.

Thanks Chas.
I just want a desktop machine that works at the moment. I am considering a MAC in any case, but woodworking and having a good machine on my desk, are slightly at odds with each other! (From the financial aspect that is!)
So I think I'll update to Windows 7, as I use that on my ;laptop; which is infested with Toshiba programs which take an age to load.) I would de-install them, but I might louse up the whole system,!

Thanks Phil.

I don't think I am ready for Linux tbh, but as I said, I've been thinking about a MAC. (My daughter swears by them!) So a quick upgrade might keep me going, especially if I don't lose user generated files on the upgrade.
Ta!

John

Benchwayze":1ysumdl3 said:
[....So I think I'll update to Windows 7, as I use that on my ;laptop;

Then be careful what version you select, 32bit or 64 bit.
For maximum benefit you need 64 bit but if your old machine does not have the memory installed (more than 4gb)and you don't have programs that can take advantage then there's little point and it will not update existing system, just with luck keep your user files.

32 bit version should keep you existing programs and user information.

Of course if you intend to start from scratch with clean system either version is fine.

That's been my experience to date, others may well be far better at shunting bits around and provide better advise.

Evening John

If you have the original XP disc, why not re-install it?

I don't know if Mr Gates will let you do this if you have a new motherboard, but it's worth trying.

Don't forget that if you have an 'upgrade' copy of XP, you might be prompted for an earlier OS version during the install.

Worth looking at?

Cheers

Dave

There's no hardware restrictions on XP, Deejay. As long as you have the correct activation code it will re-register.

One thing to bear in mind though is that Microshaft are ceasing all support for XP at the beginning of April 2014. This will mean no more security updates so you will be leaving your system open to attack.

I like their website's strap-line " it's like Toilet Paper for your PC..."

running windows 7 on your old xp machine will be disappointing

buy all the bits and put it together yourself
i am a computer engineer for last 25 yrs for my sins

there is nothing special about building your own , and will save a fortune

I never had a problem with transferring Windows to a new motherboard, and I have two separate Windows program discs. The only time I ever hit snags was installing a software program, under the wrong windows version, and I got a 'telling off' from the particular software company. I contacted them explaining I had made a simple mistake, but they still cancelled my licence! I sent a further email and not so politely told them to extract their heads, from a certain orifice. I think it's known as a 'null' retention? And the licence cost me £40.00 too.

I am going to my laptop right now to download that decrapifier. It's becoming a real snail to boot up! Thanks Kev.
Thanks DeeJay. I'm in the process of removing all my files to a big external drive, so I'll try reinstall first. if that doesn't work, I'll just have to upgrade to see me through, while I save pennies for a 'Big Mac'! :D

Cheers one and all.
:D

CHJ":3rn9dnik said:
32 bit version should keep you existing programs and user information.

There is no upgrade path WinXP to Win 7 as there is from Vista to 7

Doing the install without a format will leave the user data in the documents and settings folder structure, but will also leave all the mess of programmes in Programme Files folder which cannot be used, as their will be no registry information to use any of the programmes, or many of the dll files in system 32 folder. The only sensible way of going to Win 7 is a backup of data to keep, then a clean install formatting the drive. I have seen many XP spec machines running win 7 with 1gb ram quite comfortably. You have no more chance of messing the PC up as the laptop doing the install, so why not clean install the laptop instead of the PC with a vanilla version.

I don't really class operating install as a novice task though, as there will be many drivers to manually install as well as individual programmes.

Phil

I think there's some confusion over the upgrade here so to clarify:

Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 rather than a wipe and fresh install will keep all user documents and data. It will also keep the program files for user installed programs (this is because in many cases user files are stored within it's directory). However, these programs will no longer work and will need to be re-installed. All XP data is found in a folder called "Windows.old"

Thanks Steve and MM.

I suppose I could always format and then reinstall XP. The problem of using a SATA drive might rear its ugly head. I can run IDE drives, which don't need these added files from floppy. But to use the SATA drive I have installed at present, means I have to install these SATA files from floppy, and the motherboard just won't read floppy. I think I should buy a bare-bones, and install a new copy of 7. That ought to keep me going for a year or so!

(hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Oh well, I can't be any worse off than I am right now!

Back