Trouble installing Photoshop to Windows 7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I had Photoshop 6 installed on my PC and running fine. I de-installed it, with the idea of moving the program to the larger partition of my main drive, in an effort to speed up my machine. On trying to reinstall the program, it won't install and according to on-line searching, it shouldn't, without serious tinkering. It doesn't make sense as I already had it working once! If I can't get this to work, does anyone know of a cheaper alternative for picture editing, that will function on Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks in anticipation .

John

I think when you register it a lot of info about your computer build is sent so altering where its installed looks like a additional computer try contacting adobe

Try the Microsoft Cleanup Tool - it may help

There is a free version available on Adobes site - is it newer than the version you're trying to reinstall ?

OLD":1j3r68va said:
I think when you register it a lot of info about your computer build is sent so altering where its installed looks like a additional computer try contacting adobe
If this really is Photoshop 6, not CS6, it will only require a serial number to run and not need the authentication process that started in CS2.
I would have thought that PS6 ought to install fairly easily on a 32bit install of W7, but with a 64bit version it's likely to be problematical.

As previously mentioned, The Gimp is a pretty capable image editor now, although it does take a little effort to get up to speed with. Photoline is also a good, less well known, program too.
Also worth a look is Photo Plus from Serif.

Thanks folks.

I never got as far as choosing a drive to install the program. I get the first prompt, and the usual 'let the program make changes' then nothing. It just stops. What I can't understand is that it was working perfectly before I de-installed it. Iit doesn't make sense. I am thinking my OS in in a right state, as niggling things keep going wrong, so I think I will indeed try a re install of windows, if I can get a disc with Win 7 on it.

I don't have a disc or a registration number for Windows, as the machine came to me already up and running. Looks like an old version of Win 7 is on the cards!

Benchwayze":12z4gdi6 said:
Thanks folks.

I never got as far as choosing a drive to install the program. I get the first prompt, and the usual 'let the program make changes' then nothing. It just stops. What I can't understand is that it was working perfectly before I de-installed it. Iit doesn't make sense. I am thinking my OS in in a right state, as niggling things keep going wrong, so I think I will indeed try a re install of windows, if I can get a disc with Win 7 on it.

I don't have a disc or a registration number for Windows, as the machine came to me already up and running. Looks like an old version of Win 7 is on the cards!
Slow down a bit there, is this a pc from one of the big boys - HP, Dell etc ? If so, there should be a COA sticker somewhere on the pc it self, usually towards the back and you will no doubt have a recovery partition that will allow you to revert this back to how it arrived out of the box - BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST

If not, there are programs available that will reveal the windows key for you - JellyBean springs immediately to mind

Hi Den,

It's a self-build I bought used, as an up and running PC. So I be stuck I think!
I have tried system restore, but it just will not restore. Says there are no restore points available.

I'll have a look at Jellybean.. Thanks.

Found the Number but the OS is still registered to previous owner. Looks like I am definitely stuck!

Will report back later.
Bed-time

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
John

Look up how to run sfc /scannow as an administrator. This should replace any corrupt Windows files.

There are genuine copies of Windows 7 on Amazon UK complete with the Product Key (serial number) starting at £40.
- http://tinyurl.com/q2g4rhu - read the Customer Reviews
- http://tinyurl.com/p6cy59w

Keyfinders are fine & should find the correct Product Key as long as Windows was a genuine install ie not a pirated copy or installed by an OEM who use their own keys which are different from end user keys.

HTH

Hi Robbo.

I sorted out the sfc okay, but the command prompt won't let me run anything, as it says I have to be an administrator; which presumably I ain't! And I thought this was my own, 'personal' computer! :evil:

If you're not administrator then that might well be why you can't install photoshop as you don't have rights to make certain changes. You can get software to let you change the administrator password so I'd try logging in as administrator (try no password) and see if you can get in like that.

The reason I said look it up is because you need to run sfc /scannow as an administrator. Note the space between the c & /.
In Windows 7, left click on the Start button at the bottom left of the screen.
Select All Programs / Accessories /
Right click on the Command Prompt & select 'Run as administrator'
In the Command Prompt window type sfc /scannow then enter & let it do its work.

- http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15 ... ecker.html

HTH

Benchwayze":nkwy7l4o said:
Hi Den,

It's a self-build I bought used, as an up and running PC. So I be stuck I think!
I have tried system restore, but it just will not restore. Says there are no restore points available.

I'll have a look at Jellybean.. Thanks.

Found the Number but the OS is still registered to previous owner. Looks like I am definitely stuck!

Will report back later.
Bed-time

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
John
You won't have a problem reinstalling with your current key though that is a bit extreme - reinstall usually reserved for infected computers only due to having to backup data, reinstall all software etc

Have you tried the administrator option when running setup as has been mentioned in previous posts ?

If you're a plasterer I may be able to drive over and do it for you :wink: :wink:

Back